No customization options are available.

Applecross in May

Discussion in 'Travel' started by GordonH, Mar 14, 2017.

1. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Just finished planning the first distance outing on my new RS.

Taking a 4 day break in May and will head for Applecross.

- 1st Day - Leicestershire to just North of Loch Lomond (should be a good test of the ergonomics!)
    - 2nd Day - Loch Lomond to Applecross
    - 3rd Day - Applecross to Kielder
    - 4th Day - Kielder to Leics.

Once of the M-ways will be heading up the A82 past Loch Lomond, Fort William, Invergarry, Kyle of Lochalsh etc. Should be around 1200 miles round trip.

I've wussed out on accommodation as originally planned to camp.........but have now booked "Hobbit Huts" at each site as I didn't fancy taking a risk with Scottish weather and spending 8 hours riding in the rain to turn up at a campsite to pitch a tent....and struggle to dry my kit! Hobbit huts (apart from Kielder) have electricity, heat and mattresses.

Visited Kielder on the 1150R last year - stunning night skies (its a "Dark Skies" park and the darkest place in England) and a 13 mile gravelled forest drive. Never been North of Glasgow on the Scottish West coast.......even though born in Irvine!

Will take a few photos and post an update on here.

Any tips for "must see" POI, or eateries/distilleries etc along the way?

Bravo likes this.
  2. Joogles

Joogles Member

Gordon, the stretch from Loch Lomond to Applecross is one mega run. So much to see if you're not racing. I'd give Loch Lomond a miss, it can be sooo busy. Maybe go up through Callander (a84) stop in Callander for fish n chips in Mhor Fish n Chips, Main Street. Killin on the way up is beautiful with a cracking waterfall. So many brilliant routes up here. My favourite is up through Glen Affric, the most in spoilt area in the uk. Enjoy your trip.

AndyB and ray2 like this.
  3. GordonH

Cheers Joogles - good info.

4. Joogles

Joogles Member

Plockton, by the Ske Bridge. Brilliant
    IMG_5371.JPG

ray2 likes this.
  5. GordonH

Looks idyllic ..........good job there's a bridge though.......

ray2 likes this.
  6. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Awesome, Gordon! You'll have such a great trip!

Here's a write-up I did of my own Scotland tour last year, including Applecross and the various approaches. Perhaps it will give you some ideas?
    http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/bonnie-scotland.2015/

(This just reminded me I still need to fix some of the photos in the thread)

7. GordonH

Cheers - good read!

8. yaboy123

yaboy123 Member

So, did you go on that trip? Orrr... maybe not yet?
    Still, good luck and keep us posted! We'd love to see some pictures. Have fun, my friend!

9. GordonH

Not yet - going next Friday (19th).

Will post an update and photos.

RS now fully run in so looking forward to using it as intended.

10. yaboy123

yaboy123 Member

Thanks for the answer, and good luck! I hope you have an amazing trip. Can't wait to hear back from you, mate!

11. GordonH

So, now safely back from a late Spring tour of Scotland - here is a bullet point summary of my trip, plus a few photos and a video!

Video has more pics and can be found here:-

First Day - Leicestershire to Moffat - around 250 miles.

Nice easy start, let rush hour traffic clear. Picked up the A1 at Newarke then crossed to the M6 via the A66. Stopped for lunch at the Llama Karma Kafe just outside Penrith.......bit of a whacky place but great food!

Bike doing around 180 miles on a tank, which surprised my, as I'd not been hanging around and was having a ball with the humungous roll-on that RS has! M6 past Carlisle was practically empty.

Arrived in Moffat mid-afternoon and booked in to the Buccleuch Arms (link below). This is hotel caters for motorcyclists and is run by a Zimbabwean family. Facilities include - bike garages, bike and kit washing facilities, good food and beer....and basic comfy rooms. As the weather was good, the owner suggested a lap of the "3 Lochs" route.....which was absolutely stunning in the 23deg sunshine and set me up for dinner and a pint or three!

http://www.buccleucharmshotel.com

P1070710.jpg

Bike storage and beer garden....
    P1070699.jpg

Late afternoon on the A701 by the Devil's Beeftub.
    P1070700.jpg

A701 - I must have seen a dozen vehicles in 50 miles on this road!
    P1070707.jpg

Day 2. Moffat to Beinglas Campsite - just north of Loch Lomond. Short hop of just over a 100 miles.

After having B&B at Moffat, I'd booked camping huts for the remaining nights. These are pretty basic (you need to bring a sleeping bag and roll mat, for some) but they do mean that you don't have to put up a tent when its pissing it down and you are soaked after 8 hours riding a motorcycle when a better alternative would've been a boat...

Campsite was well kitted out (bar/food/quiet) and was mostly full of German and Dutch walkers doing the West Highland Way (it runs through the site).

Now clear of all the major cities and traffic has thinned out massively! Roads are stunning!

Link here

https://www.beinglascampsite.co.uk/camping-cabins.php

Loch Lomond
    P1070723.jpg

Hobbit Hut at Beinglas Campsite.....and some old bald bloke.....
    P1070742.jpg

Very comfy. Heat and light provided by the miracle of electricity!
    P1070745.jpg

P1070783.jpg

Day 3. Loch Lomond to Applecross via the Kyle of Lochalsh and the Pass of the Cattle. 170 miles....but 4.5 hours as most of the final leg is on single track roads.

Scottish weather strikes - rained for the the day...then stopped at 1800hrs. Made for a wet ride (only a minor leak in my jacket, so not too bad!)
    RS stuck to the road like glue - had it in Rain Mode for most of the day and did not experience any slips or slides - awesome bike. Really comfy in difficult conditions and easy to handle - riding up over the Pass of the Cattle in the pouring rain and 6deg was a butt clenching experience that the bike handled far better than I!

The weather broke on the way up - this is Glencoe in a particularly moody mood!
    P1070788.jpg

Day 4 to follow and some insight as to how the bike performed (once I get the rest of the photos etc sorted!).

iPaul, Scorch and JasonQ like this.
  12. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

More! We want more!!
    :)

Brilliant stuff, mate. Well done.
    I look forward to the rest of the photos.

13. GordonH

..some more pics (I think there is a limit per post)

Bike performed faultlessly, everything from high speed motorway to single track gravel, with a few 25% hairpins thrown in for good measure. Got the usual extremes of weather - 25deg sunshine through torrential rain and 6deg.

The things that I liked most about the bike (having covered around 1200 miles on the trip):-

Cruise control - makes long distance m way work bearable.
    Rain mode - kept the throttle nice and soft.
    Dynamic mode - for tighter handling and instant "go".
    Seat - surprisingly comfy - biggest single distance was 320 miles (Applecross to Kielder) but had 2 other days over 250.
    Heated grips - deals with the wind chill from sodden gloves!
    Fuel range - around 170-180 miles - plenty between stops.
    Still as agile when loaded up.
    Sheer ease of covering distance quickly - high torque boxer engine - unbeatable + instant drive, irrespective of gear!

Not so good:-

Fly by wire throttle - lacks the linear "pull" that a mechanical throttle has and throws in weird flat spots.
    Need some hand guards for the heated grips to work more effectively and to keep the rain blast of my gloves.
    Sidestand angle - very sensitive to parking angle.

Now for the next trip.....

Applecross Inn
    IMG_0136 (1).jpg

Great seafood
    IMG_0132 (1).jpg

Pass of the Cattle
    P1070844.jpg

P1070846.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Scorch likes this.
  14. iPaul

iPaul Active Member

Good work there Gordon. Must get my arse into gear to plan my trip up to Scotlandshire soon!

15. GordonH

If you get the weather, its stunning. Once clear of the tourist traffic around Loch Lomond and Fort William, the roads are empty...really empty...

P1070706.jpg

P1070845.jpg

Version 2.jpg

Scorch likes this.