No customization options are available.

Anything to be aware of riding through/in Switzerland?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by JasonQ, Sep 28, 2017.

1. JasonQ

JasonQ Member

I wonder if anyone can help me with a question / niggling doubt I have about riding in / through Switzerland.

1/ Can you ride through Switzerland without having to purchase anything extra? E.g. I can get on my bike and cross the channel (by ferry or train) and ride in France, Belgium etc. and as long as I stay off the toll roads it costs me nothing extra, is this same in Switzerland?

Or

2/ Am I misremembering something odd about Switzerland toll roads? something like you by a permit before you can ride on their roads rather than pay at a toll booth after completing a stretch?

...or is it something about hire cars... I'm sure there was/is something odd about driving/riding in Switzerland....

Anyone ridden through there that can advise?

JasonQ

2. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

...keep a keen eye on the speed limits

ray2 likes this.
  3. ott

ott Member

Joogles likes this.
  4. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Watch out for Toblerone bars,they use them as speed humps over there.

5. Kev

Kev Member

Just a precision on Ott's reply, they will only force you to pay if you come across the border at a customs post that is actually on a motorway - simply because you are already on the toll road.
    If you don't come in on a motorway but decide to use the motorway later in your trip, the vignette is sold in all petrol stations and post offices, otherwise, no need for one.

On the subject of Toblerones, you often see tank barriers in the fields (not across the roads Bravo ), constructed during the war. Yes, they look like Toblerones and are called - Toblerones!

boxerboy, ray2 and Bravo like this.
  6. Bravo

My apologies for my mistake.

7. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I've ridden in Switzerland quite a bit - you can get by without a Vignette in summer. Less easy in winter when you may be forced to use motorways. Familiarise yourself with the signs for the "free" and "pay" zones as they can change without any visual change in roads - some "pay" roads are single carriageway.
    I always use a non-motorway crossing which are often unmanned, especially the suburban roads into Basel from Alsace or across the Rhine from the Black Forest area.
    Traffic fines can be punitive if stopped by police as my friends found out heading from Zernez to the Austrian border. Their crime was to overtake an unmarked police car using the centre filter lane at a junction. He radioed ahead and they were stopped at the border. They had to pay a fine deposit and then a magistrate reviewed their case, sending them a further bill. 600CHF each.

8. slippery

slippery Member

beware of any man that wears leather shorts !

Leon.P., Richard230 and Bravo like this.
  9. 70tno

70tno New Member

My sin was to get caught speeding on the hill down to the border to France last year, which was uncharacteristically manned that afternoon. It eventually cost my pal and I £900 each, which was the minimum fine apparently as all fines are based on income.
    Do not go to Switzerland for a blast, we met a Swiss biker in France after we had been let go and he said that if it had been him (as a Swiss national), he would have been banned on the spot and had his bike confiscated! He always popped over the border into France for his fun.

10. boxter

boxter Active Member

£900 fine, boy you are paid too much :)

I just use a satnav with the setting, no toll roads, and enjoy riding the lesser road's.

Ged

11. 70tno

70tno New Member

As I said, that is the minimum fine!

12. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

It's embarrassing to get beat up by yodelers...

Leon.P., mousejockey40 and Bravo like this.
  13. mousejockey40

mousejockey40 Active Member

One of your more useful advice tips Bravo. Thanks for sharing.. :)

Leon.P. and Bravo like this.
  14. Bravo

I try to help MJ...... A moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips;)

mousejockey40 and Leon.P. like this.
  15. JasonQ

JasonQ Member

Cheers guys thank you for the useful information, I'll add it all to my equation to figure out if I ride down through France / Switzerland or from Santander across Northern Spain and Southern France :)

JasonQ