No customization options are available.

Anyone using more aggressive sport bike tires on the R1200RS?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by ray2, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Tazz45

Tazz45 Member

I went back on my word saying I would try M7RRs..running the new Dunlop Roadsmart 3s..so far so good

ray2 likes this.
  2. SD-Biker

SD-Biker Member

any more feedback from M7RR users. I've been trying to decide on a new set of tires. Live in socal so wet traction is quite as important. The Diablo R III's get some pretty nice reviews as well.

lacemi likes this.
  3. Allan "redfox"

Allan "redfox" Active Member

Today ordered the Michelin RS tires..

ray2 likes this.
  4. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Oh, yeah....
    Keep us posted.

5. dinez

dinez Member

How about using a front sports tire with a rear sports touring tire? Anyone tried this combo with the RS?

6. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

All major tire manufacturers make double compound tires ==> soft rubber on the shoulders and harder rubber on the center. I don't see a need to mix tires types front & rear.

darrell, Grumpy Goat and ray2 like this.
  7. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

Nope I'm a pacifist.

8. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

I have the Michelin RS tyres on mine. I'm very pleased with them. I went touring two-up with them round the Ring of Kerry in some pissing weather and they handled the wet conditions perfectly for what looks like a dry weather-oriented tyre.

In the dry they're excellent, the turn-in I find is more aggressive and I found I was fifty-pencing bends until I got used to hanging out at the apex that little bit longer. The grip is very confidence inspiring, not that the z8's I had were lacking but these definitely feel like they can handle more.

Took her out on track a couple of weeks ago, tyres well and truly scuffed-up to the edges but there was definitely more there to be had. Just not on my one and only bike with track-invalidated insurance :eek:

Longevity-wise I think I'll be lucky to get 3000 miles, considering I'm doing another track day next week:rolleyes:

Allan "redfox" and ray2 like this.
  9. ray2

One can get used to anything on a bike, once the limits of handling are clear.
    That said, why? Once leaned over and accelerating, the turn (and related G-forces) are taken by the rear tire. Sticky front and less sticky rear - sounds like good braking and good fun but also sounds like a recipe for a high side.

darrell likes this.
  10. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

Are these RS tires from Michelin a replacement to the Pilot Roads?

11. Allan "redfox"

Allan "redfox" Active Member

Nope ;)
    iconopowerrs_v5.jpg

Maltz and ray2 like this.
  12. Maltz

Maltz New Member

Running Metzler M7RR's - Bike feels a lot more agile,, with an easier turn in. Great in the wet, and I've ridden M5 motrway in our summer deluge! 1K miles so far and no regrets. Did look at the RS, seemed a lot less tread area, but maybe just a less traditional approach.

ray2 likes this.
  13. Hugh

Hugh Active Member

I had the M7RR's on my HP4 and loved them. Currently got the Conti Road Attack 3's on the RS and they look broadly similar to the Metzlers. Interested to see what life you get out of them.

Maltz likes this.
  14. dinez

dinez Member

Normally the rear will wear out much faster than the front. Maybe 2 rear to 1 front. I guess with this combo both the tires will wear out equally.

15. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I thought the 2 rear to 1 front was about right, until the BMW Telelever, where the front wore out faster.
    I don't know what the RS will do as my rear sustain terminal sidewall damage and was replaced with at least 50% wear to go with the 01 Metzler. The front 08 is cupping, but still has plenty of life in it.
    Without the damage, I think the tyres would be wearing evenly front and back.

16. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

For the past 15 years all of my sport-touring radial motorcycle front tires have worn out before the rear - even the tires on my BMW F650GS twin and my 2005 Triumph Bonneville (which uses tube-type tires). Perhaps tire manufacturers are skimming the tread depth on front tires a bit in an effort to wear out both front and rear tires at the same time and they went a little too far - at least in my experience.

17. ray2

N
    Used to be true, but not the last several years - at least, not the way I brake and accelerate.

darrell likes this.
  18. Keith R

Keith R Member

I had DIablo R IIIs on my last bike (S1000R). They were brilliant in the wet and dry, so definitely considering them when I need to replace mine in a thousand miles time.

lacemi likes this.
  19. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

What bike is that? An S1000R with a little windscreen?

20. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

At almost 17000km on my original rear PS4 now it's time to replace and I keep asking myself if I need to do the front and just be safe at the same time.

I've only ever done 2 rears for 1 front once and at 30,000km the front was very very square and needed to be replaced anyway.

But maybe I can get away with like 1 : 1,5 ratio instead of 1 : 2 as I plan to keep the bike a while and the costs over time will be a decent saving.