No customization options are available.

Anyone using more aggressive sport bike tires on the R1200RS?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by ray2, Feb 13, 2017.

1. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

So maybe I'm living in the past when the difference between sport bike tires and touring tires was huge. Has tire technology now advanced to the point that the handling of sport touring tires is right up there with the sport bike tires? I note that even the most aggressive and experienced riders are sticking (no pun intended) to the sport touring models.

Has anyone given a try to date with Attack 3s, Q3s, or M7s? If not, anyone think it's worth the experiment with the RS?

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

A lot of our friends on i-BMW who are fast riders have been happy with the grip of the current sport touring tires. The ones who mostly ride locally or haul their bikes to good roads usually use the softer sport tires.
    One of the Texas Hill Country rallies a member hauled his K1200S to Texas with new tires. He rode from the Hill Country to Big Bend, spent 2 days there and rode back to the Hill Country. Because of the heat, coarse chip seal and the high speeds you can run out to Big Bend and back he only had enough tire to ride in the Hill Country 1 day.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    ray2 likes this.
  3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Ain't that the truth. Cupped my original front PR4.

ray2 likes this.
  4. Allan "redfox"

Allan "redfox" Active Member

My next tires are: RS

5. Bart

Bart Member

Well..... I used to ride a sports bike and my favourite tires were Dunlop Sportmax II. Lots of grip on warm and dry days, good for occasional track days, reasonable but slippery grip on cold and wet days. I settled for the Pilot Road 4's that where installed when the RS was delivered thinking I would replace them for my favo Dunnies in spring. And then I got to ride in the rain with temps just above freezing. What a grip, what a difference! Whereas on dry and warm days I can still ride the footpegs to the ground. One thing about the PR4's; when its hot they start smearing and they start cupping quite early. You never really loose grip but it doesn't give much confidence. So after the PR's were worn out I had the Metzeler Roadtec 01 installed and up till now I have ridden about 4000km with them and still in good shape. My tires mostly wear out in about 7000km and it seems to me that these do a bit better. At least there are no signs of cupping yet. No sports tires for me no more. There is simply no reason, they would only wear out faster and give less grip in wet conditions. Hope this helps you in your decision.

Peter Burridge, Buba, PeTe T and 2 others like this.
  6. ray2

OK. So - Heading to Austin in a couple of months, I guess I'm old enough that I don't need bragging rights to the story that I burned up a set of road tires in a day (though we've been there). And for now, I'm carrying the weight difference between an R1200RS and a K1300. Points taken from Lees post and Grumpy's posts past - I'll get the sport touring tires and lose the weight.

Have to admit, with all the electronics and the spot-on suspension, I've had a hard time getting the stock rear PR4 to break loose in anything other than a predictable and civilized manner until it hit 7000 miles.

I think Bart sums it up. Even the sportbike chats give a thumbs up to sport touring tires. Lots of posts about the mileage they're getting without losing speed in the corners.

And the redfox is correct in noting my omission of the Power RS from the exciting if not over-hyped sportbike tire market. SportRider's currently got them in testing. If I recall, someone from Michelin was asked about the tread pattern and admitted that just about anything works in the proper ratio, and this particular tread pattern was aimed at function, marketing, and esthetics (though I am personally unsure about the order). [Allan - these tires should work really well with the lowered bars and those flat, smooth, temperate roads of The Netherlands. (Good luck. We're rooting for a successful project.)]
    upload_2017-2-13_17-48-34.png

7. woolf

woolf Active Member

sounds like Charlie :eek:

8. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Charlie needs the stickiest tires he can find :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

folagana, Jim Evans, ray2 and 2 others like this.
  9. Hotboot

Hotboot Active Member

You won't ever need sticky sport tires in the Hill Country, there are less than 20 technical corners there and the chip seal will eat rubber especially when hot.
    I have done track day type riding in Arkansas at insane lean angles and have complete confidence in the Metzler combo, the bike is easy to ride fast and has great balance. I assume any good ST tire will be more than enough.

Grumpy Goat, ray2 and woolf like this.
  10. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

Ray, I guess you got the info you wanted. I also vote for the sport/touring tires, they have the soft rubber on the shoulders and harder rubber in the middle. That's that.

I have used Q3's and Sportmax II on sports bikes. No sense in going back to Q3's.

ray2 likes this.
  11. Csaba Glavics

Csaba Glavics New Member

I preferably use sport tyres on my RS. I prefer M7RR but right now I have Pirelli Diablo Corsa3. I am fairly fast rider and use my bike always including commuting, touring or eben a track day fun. I prefer the feedback of sport tyres over the longevity. M7RR lasted 4000 miles same as Roadtec 01. 01 had more grip in wet (a little bit too much...) but when it start to lose it, it lose grip whiteout progression. M7 has les grip in wet conditions but it still has nice progression when it loose it. In dry obviously M7 is faster steering and to me more confidence inspiring than 01. Others on my bike: It come with z8 which died around 4000 miles. Then a set of M7 which was changed after 2500 miles due puncture. (I do not trust on a tyre once it had a hole in it.) Then I tried Maxxis new sport touring tyre, which is working backwards. It grips less than a touring tyre but last shorter than a sport tyre. I have basically killed it in 2000 miles. Then a set M7 again. Then a set 01, which did not last as long as I expected, so I come back from Austria with a not so nice tyre. Then I got this Pirelli Diablo Corsa3. It is basically a no grip on wet while it is cold. When it warms up it getting better but the real area where it can be brilliant looks like when it is dry. When it is gone I am sure I will go back to M7RR again.

Grumpy Goat and ray2 like this.
  12. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

what brand name is the M7RR?

13. Csaba Glavics

Csaba Glavics New Member

14. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

Metzeler Roadtec Z8 has all the stick one needs. You can run sport tires, get your 2500 miles (if you ride hard) and wear out your rims changing tires every 4-6 months.

15. Csaba Glavics

Csaba Glavics New Member

I think tyre is much more personal taste than anything else. Personally I hated my Z8, and it did not lasted longer than a sportier tyre. Z8, 01 and M7 all lasted exactly around 4000 miles to me. Depend on the time of the year means I change them after a month. (01 was it)
    Yes, everybody right who says there are enough grip on any sport touring tyres on this days. I simple prefer the more feedback and different feel that I can get from a sportier tyre.
    On the other hand I always find entertaining the fact we spent a fairly good amount of money to buy our bike, then we try to get the most cheapest (miles/cash) tyre.
    In my opinion tyre is one of the most important part of my bike. If anything goes wrong with it that can cost my life. Hence I prefer that tyre which give me the best confidence level. To me these tyres are a more sportier tyres.
    I vote to everybody try as much tyres as they want and I am sure they will find their favourite one.

Graham Lewis, Last, UncleBob and 4 others like this.
  16. Tazz45

Tazz45 Member

My Metzeler Z8's performed well for 4800 miles. Then I tried Bridgestone S20's and while they stick really well the front is pretty well shot at 3500miles. Metzeler m7RR are next.

ray2 likes this.
  17. ray2

Many thanks. Let me know what you think....
    I'm now thinking of trying as many different styles of rubber on this bike as possible. After I finish off the Roadtecs, I want to try some gravel with the Attack 3 and some track and twisty-time on the M7.... Of course, I might need to retire to get this done properly.

18. Hugh

Hugh Member

I am a big fan of the M7RR tyres myself but am waiting to see what tyres my new RS is going to have when I pick it up Friday next week. Whatever they are will give them a try but my sense is that I will put the M7's on pretty quickly. Out of interest on the Metzler website the M7's are not recommended for the RS and I was wondering why.

ray2 likes this.
  19. Maltz

Maltz New Member

20. Maltz

Maltz New Member

Hi, interested in the difference in agility/turn in/ faster steering on M7RR vs Z8. I have Z8 fitted at the moment. Would I notice the difference to changing to M7RR. Don't feel I need extra grip, and don't commute, so not particularly worried about wet weather performance, but a ride on a ducati supersport made me yearn for a faster steering bike! Albeit overall, I still feel the R1200 RS remains a much better bike. just wondered if changing tyres would edge the RS in that direction at all?

ray2 likes this.