No customization options are available.

Anyone had their RS re-mapped?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by mark g, Jan 5, 2018.

1. mark g

mark g New Member

Not a power commander but a proper engine ecu software map? having mine done in the next couple of weeks, promises of superior mid range and throttle response improvements. Don't know about you but the low speed throttle response is not great-my old Trimph Sprint GT was waay better! that and the mid range 'fluff' at about 4,350rpm or so drives me nuts-I know it's all about the EU emissions but really, shoddy fueling, way too lean. I'll let you know how it goes and what the improvements are like-thankfully they offer a full refund if not happy with it. fingers crossed :)

2. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Good luck, Mark.
    I'm quite keen to do this now I have the Akrapovic titanium headers, but the only place I've had recommended to me is about 3 hours away.
    Are you able to share who is doing yours and where they are located?

Horsham10 likes this.
  3. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Good luck and look forward to you posting the results. I know that an ECU reflash is now much more common and threads I've read elsewhere are 99.9% positive. There seems to be a place in Leicestershire that has done a lot of LC GS bikes with rave reviews posted ( Hilltop Motorcycles ). I'm tempted but concerned about manufacturers warranty .

4. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Member

Interested in this - I had my GS LC remapped at Hilltop in 2014 and couldn’t make my mind up, actually I thought it was ok, until I road tested a demo RS a couple of years later and thought the standard RS was actually a faster which made me wonder how good the mapping was on the GS or maybe there had been some sort of issue, I’m not sure?
    I would like to get my RS done if I could be sure of the benefits over standard

5. Andy Griffiths

Gearing ?

Sideshow Bob likes this.
  6. Stef

Stef Active Member

Perhaps you just have to buy another bike? :)

Grumpy Goat and Brimstone Mahone like this.
  7. mark g

mark g New Member

Yes its Hilltop in Hinckley. seems they have new premises. my mate had his old 1150 GS done and it went really well. much more ho and better torque. will certainly post a review!

8. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

The software that hilltop installs into 'unused space' in the ECU is not detectable so BMW will never know. I had my ECU done by them and very pleased with their service and the results

9. Andy Griffiths

Now thats interesting - tell me more - and how long did it take you to drive over and get it done ?

10. Stef

Stef Active Member

Strange explanation. Somehow the lovely machine has to know which data to use: either the changed ones that replaced the original ones, or a new set "in free space" to which it has to be directed. So in both cases there will very likelly be a detectable trace...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    sjouflas and Bunter like this.
  11. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

i sent the ecu by mail to the uk, they don't need the bike to be physically on site (unless you want to have before and after dyno charts to show to your mates). The ECU takes about 5 minutes to remove or install.
    The software does its adaptation within a few minutes of being back in the bike and running, then samples every 7 seconds (if i remember correctly) to keep the fueling and ignition curves optimised within their new parameters. According to the guys at Hilltop their software is undetectable, I don't actually care myself as my bike is a 2015 so the warranty will be run out soon. To me the most noticeable change to the performance is to the top end - it now has one, goes like the clappers. If you email or phone the guys they can explain their setup better than I can

http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/

Scorch and Andy Griffiths like this.
  12. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

I reflashed the map on my Moto Guzzi. The improvement was substantial and the price only $250 for my '07 Big Block. Here in the US, the only reflash service I've come across for LC Boxers is at Max BMW. Their price is $650...

http://www.maxbmw.com/bmw-motorcycle-tuning.html

All that said, I have been happy with the fueling on my RS. There is a little muted popping on deceleration in Dynamic, but my 2016 US model runs satisfactorily apart from that.

13. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Anyone found somewhere other than the one mentioned up the thread in the UK who can work on the R1200LC ECU?

14. mark g

mark g New Member

BSD performance in Peterborough also do this.

Bunter likes this.
  15. mark g

mark g New Member

All booked into Hilltop for the 13th Jan :)

Scorch, isaac hunt, GrahamleM and 3 others like this.
  16. mark g

mark g New Member

So. Just back from Hilltop and have to say what a marked difference. +16ft lbs of torque and +14bhp all at much lower rpm too.a much flatter torque curve, low speed throttle fueling smooth and the engine now tractable in top down to 25mph. havent haf a chance to fully test upper mid range and top end yet. but so far i am pleased with the result.

Attached Files:

17. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

That is an extraordinary result, Mark; your gains are well over 10%. The re-flash graph shows no power dip at 5,252 rpms (where the torque and hp graphlines cross), a common range for flat spots. Hilltop must know what they're doing! What other mods have you done to your bike's powerplant? What effect does the re-flash have on the engine mode programming?

18. mark g

mark g New Member

19. mark g

mark g New Member

Hi James
    no other engine mods. i may change the headers and decat at some point. power modes unaffected in their delivery just each mode is increased in line with the overall remap, if you get what i mean? Jeff at Hilltop has done over 2,000 boxer engines so id hop he knows his stuff ;)

20. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Looks very impressive. What does Hilltop charge for this work?