No customization options are available.

Anyone going to the MOA Rally in Hamburg?

Discussion in 'USA Midwest Riders' started by terry847, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Yes there was a quite windy thunderstorm that started around 12:40 am. Many tents blown down including a few exhibitors, I believe. One tree limb fell on a Rally camper's tent and he was slightly injured and taken to the emergency room as a precaution, according to one of the Rally facilitators. Not that there are many trees in the Fairgrounds. I am 50 miles away in a KOA and my tent was secure as was the stuff under my tarp on my picnic table. The storm did not last long.

2. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Had a micro burst. 60 mph winds per some estimates. Lots of canopies destroyed. I hear 20 plus attendees bikes tipping over. Not a lot of rain. Nearly all outside vendors who were set up lost their tents. Wunderlich had 8 bikes inside their tent and all tipped over and most all their displays were damaged. I'm fine and no damage to my bike, tent or me. Thanks for asking.

3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the updates. Good to hear you're both okay.

4. RJC_BMW

RJC_BMW Active Member

Glad everyone's okay. The material stuff is just that. I too wanted to be up there but could not due to prior commitments. Now feeling okay I didn't make it after all. That Canada's a volatile place.

5. darrell

image.jpeg Wayne, Terry, Darrell

6. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

It was great meeting Terry and Darrell :) (and also Terry's friend, whose name now slips my mind!) :(

We had a nice long chat in the Machine Art Moto tent next to the only RS being used as a product prop (all thre vendors seem to use GSs, RTs and sundry older bikes - no RS except for MaMo - that alone holds good sway with me!

I got a new front tire fitted at the No-Mar Tire Changer booth. Went with the standard Michelin PR4 again. At 11,600 miles the original tires had about 1 mm over the wear bars and with more than 2000 miles between me and home, and me intending to ride through any weather conditions (including rain, within reason) and with the intention of doing the Tail of the Dragon the decision to get the new rubber was easy.

Lots of interesting seminars and demonstrations. Pity I am not close enough (camping 50 miles away) to take in the night's entertainment - maybe tomorrow.

Lee likes this.
  7. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I like the color they used this year for the rally shirts.

8. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

At that point can you still see the center sip?
    On Debbie's PR4 the center sip is approx 2/32" deep and mine is a little deeper.
    To me it looks like when you are down to the center most wear bars the center sip will be gone.

9. Baldy

Baldy New Member

Just wanted to say thanks for helping me feel like a youngster.

10. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Baldy,
    What do you mean by that? Are you saying Wayne, Darrell and I are old? :)
    Were you at the Rally? If you were, it was too bad you couldn't have met up with us and you had a good time. Darrell is taking the initiative to try to get an RS Rally together for next spring in Arkansas, so stay tuned. We hope to get as many RS riders together as possible, although we won't disallow others of course.

mreeter and Grumpy Goat like this.
  11. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

So it's not Hamburg, Germany?

12. darrell

Right. Hamburg, NY. Great little rally with 130 vendors, 6200 attendees with probably ½ camping. Lots of door prizes, some of nice value like 1 or 2 week trips to various parts of the world and a grand prize of a new 2016 R1200 RS given to the lucky winner.