No customization options are available.

Anyone going to the MOA Rally in Hamburg?

Discussion in 'USA Midwest Riders' started by terry847, Jul 6, 2016.

1. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Lee, thanks for the tip on Toronto. Since neither of us have been to that area, your tip will be a big help.
    GG, you are welcome. I totally understand. If I didn't have a riding partner to share the cost, I would be in the same boat. Hope to see you there. Safe trip.

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

You could head south from North Bay Ont. to the Barrie area, then up to Owens Sound on the Bay. From Owens Sound or Meaford, pick some back roads to bypass the Toronto area. South of the Georgian Bay is rolling farm ground which we thought was scenic, but what do I know, I'm from Iowa :)

I read that dropping south before Sudbury and taking the ferry from South Baymouth to Tobermory is a nice route.

The 2 lane road speed limits in Ont are very low but we rarely saw a OPP car on the highway.

I think this is Meaford on the Georgian Bay.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  3. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Lee, thanks for the ideas. Will check to see the best way for us to bypass Toronto.

4. terry847

terry847 Active Member

It will be interesting to see how many riders on RS's show up as I don't see any posts about the rally other than this one in any area of the forum. As I said before, I will be riding my K1600GT (need water pump checked out on the RS) and I know there is a fairly large group from that forum getting together. They use the beer garden as a meeting place and there will be a party central in the campground based at one fellow's camper. For any RS riders interested in meeting up (GG and Darrell as you are the only ones indicating that they are going) my buddy and I usually spend a significant amount of time wandering the vendor area and a good number of the seminars. We can be spotted fairly easily as my buddy always wears a big wide brimmed hat while in the sun or carries it while inside. I will be wearing or carrying a grey BMW Motorad baseball cap. I will try to keep checking both the beer garden and the MachineArtMoto booth as Darrell suggested.
    Safe riding.

5. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Just drop me a private conversation or post here and we'll find a time to meet hoping GG can as well. I'm packed and rolling out tomorrow early heading for the UP of MI tomorrow night. Have a few sight seeing stops along the way to the rally so likely there Wednesday late day. image.jpeg

6. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Nice clean packing job Darrell [​IMG]

7. darrell

Thanks. I love those black square 6"x6" or 4"x4", 22 inch long water proof bags from Aerostich. The tan bag in the center is my Catoma Lone Rider 30 second setup tent.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  8. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

You guys have fun and have a beer for me at the beer tent [​IMG]

9. darrell

And if at the last minute you ride out I'll buy you one. If not we'll have yours.

Lee likes this.
  10. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

That was my thought too. I will have one SW Motec / Bags Connections Drybag 600 (in Grey of course) with my 5 minute tent and sundry tent accoutrements strapped on top in a lime green waterproof bag from REI. I have a top box in additon to my panniers too. Will post a packed up picture probably on Sunday since I am leaving early Monday morning.

11. Grumpy Goat

Same to you both as well. Maybe we can share mobile numbers and then text one another when we get there, and get the lay of the land. Then we can setup a time and place to actually meet and put a face to a name. I anticipate visiting several vendors' booths over the 3 days as well as attending some of the seminars so we'd have to have a more precise method of meeting up I think. :)

12. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Guys, don't forget to leave room for purchases in the vendor area! :) Although there is usually a UPS station in the vendor area. We used that service last year in Billings. Very convenient.
    I will keep an eye out for posts here. Hopefully that will at least get us started on a meet up.

13. Grumpy Goat

Any purchases I make will either have to be installed there and then our shipped home since I will have very little storage left after a full camping pack load including dehydrated food. That will also be part of this adventure. :)

14. Bacaruda

Bacaruda Active Member Contributor

Lol. For a moment I was thinking of leaving earlier from sweden on my alp-tour to be able to attend. Realised pretty fast that it wasn't Hamburg in northern Germany that you were going to. :) So sorry guys I wont be there. Not this year at least. Have fun and have lots of beer. If I comes next year the first is on me.

15. darrell

Next year it is being held in Salt Lake City. If you come this way let me know and we'll do a tour of Colorado on the way out from the Midwest.

16. darrell

750 miles the last 2 days on dry 2 lane roads in WI and MI. image.jpeg

Lee likes this.
  17. Grumpy Goat

Cool. I am almost fully packed. Will be leaving early tomorrow.

18. darrell

Enjoying the rally. image.jpeg

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  19. Grumpy Goat

Will be meeting up with darrell and terry847 tomorrow. Lots to see and hear and do. Day 1 done.

20. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Did you have a storm last night? I saw one post on the MOA forum and one on i-BMW that mentioned tents blowing down.

Thanks for posting a rally picture.