No customization options are available.

Anyone going to the MOA Rally in Hamburg?

Discussion in 'USA Midwest Riders' started by terry847, Jul 6, 2016.

1. terry847

terry847 Active Member

My riding buddy (R1200RT) and I will be there the 13th through the 17th. Have reservations but no solid plan on route yet other than going through Canada going or coming home. Will depend on weather, etc. I am taking my K1600GT as I think I have a problem with the water pump on the RS. Continues to puke coolant out of the weep hole and now the reservoir shows no coolant when cold. :(

2. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

I was about to start a thread asking the same question.

I will be going, barring any problems before I leave Houston. Leaving on Monday and arriving in the area on Wednesday afternoon, overnighting twice along the way. Will go visit my family on Toronto afterwards then head back to Houston via Tennessee and the Tail of the Dragon. At least that is the plan. :)

3. terry847

terry847 Active Member

GG, I will be looking for an RS with Texas plates in the sea of bikes. Hope to be able to catch you some time during the rally. BTW, are you camping at the rally or hoteling it. We will be staying at the Comfort Inn 3 miles from the fairgrounds. Have a safe trip and enjoy the Dragon. Been there many times but not with the RS yet.

4. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

I plan to be there as well arriving likely on Thursday. Not sure if I'm riding the RS or bringing one of the GSA bikes. I'm camping. RS owners on the forum should try and meet up someplace during the rally. Either the beer garden or maybe at the Machine Art Moto booth and we convince Andrew he needs to design and build a rear inter fender for the bikes. I'll watch the forum for more information. I'm planning to leave Minnesota on Saturday.

5. Grumpy Goat

Terry - that would be cool, to hook up with a fellow forum member. This is my first Rally so i am not sure what to expect. I typically have no inclination to go anywhere there are masses of people, even if they have the same mindset as mine, but who knows, this might be different. I am looking forward to the seminars / talks as well as seeing some of the vendors.

I am neither camping at the Rally nor staying at a hotel / motel. The hotels with reasonable prices are all booked up (including that Comfort Inn) and not knowing what to expect camping in a sea of tents at the Fairgrounds (noise, comings and goings all hours, drunks, etc.), I opted to stay elsewhere. Plus I need electricity for my CPAP. The only option was to stay in the KOA approx 1 hour south of the Fairgrounds.

As for the Dragon - watched many a video on YouTube and am doing it because its on the way and is supposedly on the ToDo list for motorcyclists.

6. Grumpy Goat

Nice easy ride for you then. :)

Yes we should meet up somewhere in there. I will keep monitoring this thread even after I get in the area to see what the consensus on a meeting spot / time is. I like the idea of meeting at the MaMo booth and selling the idea of a hugger! I like their attitude and there is no clashy carbon fibre BS to deal with. ;)

7. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Seems like they usually have an area available in the camping area to plug in your CPAP.
    Edit: I found this on the MOA site.
    WILL THERE BE A SPECIAL MEDICAL NEEDS (SMN) CAMPING AREA THAT HAS ELECTRICAL OUTLETS?
    Yes. There will be a designated SMN area with electrical service. These spots are for SMN campers only and may prevent you from camping adjacent to friends.

I think you'll have more fun and meet more people if you camp on the grounds.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  8. darrell

Lee, I agree with the special medical needs area at the rallies they have really made it attractive for everyone to camp; if they do in fact camp. This will probably be my 20th National Rally and every time I meet new riders and see old ones some times only this time each year. I'd not worry about riders who drank too much or a loud out of control crowd. I once took a friend who expected a Sturgis type rally and after the 1st day he asked me if we came to the wrong place as it seemed like an AARP Convention for motorcyclists.

9. Grumpy Goat

Lee -- I did see that SMN area mentioned but aside from that the information on the website is sorely lacking. I mean I have to be assured that it is not a series of extension cords running through the area with no guarantee of getting reliable electricity, to the extent where I can leave my CPAP battery at home over 1600 miles away.

I will certainly look at the camping situation when I get there and make a final assessment. If it is not too bad I will move over. I certainly don't relish driving an hour daily each way but then the lakeshore opposite the KOA is attractive too.

10. Grumpy Goat

Hehehe ... if I expected a Sturgis-type Rally then my decision would be easy - won't go. :D That whole scene is diamterically opposite to all I might like about motorcycling. :D

11. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Grumpy Goat and darrell like this.
  12. darrell

Thanks on the boat museum idea. I understand this museum in Buffalo is worth a stop.

Pierce Arrow Museum- auto, bike and motorcycle museum including the history of transportation

http://www.pierce-arrow.com

Lee likes this.
  13. Grumpy Goat

Lee - Love the pictures from your trip. Those wooden boats are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

14. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Don't forget your passports if you plan to travel through Canada, or just want to see the falls from the Canada side.

15. Grumpy Goat

Agreed but I already have that in mind since one of my main foci for going to this Rally is its proximity to Toronto where my family presently lives. I will be heading for Toronto on Sunday morning.

16. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Yep, I figured you had yours :) My post was a heads up for the other members.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  17. terry847

terry847 Active Member

GG, totally understand about the CPAP as I also use one. But not on bike trips. My riding buddy has gotten used to my snoring! BTW, I just happen to have two rooms reserved for the 13th -17th at the Comfort Inn and Suites only 2.8 miles from the fairgrounds. As a couple of friends have pulled out of going, I will be cancelling out one of the rooms (both are rooms with two queen beds). Let me know if you are interested in the extra room. If you are, we can figure out how to get it done. Rates are $152/night for 13th-14th and $ 162 for the 15th-16th. I will hold off cancelling until Monday the 11th.
    Incidentally, we are leaving the Chicago area on Sunday and riding to Duluth the first day so we can stop at Aerostich. Then along the north shore of Lake Superior into Canada and down to Sault St. Marie, across to Toronto and down to Hamburg. Plan on 4 days, arriving Wednesday late afternoon.

18. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I would avoid the Toronto area, way too many people in that part of the Province. Avoid Hwy 401 and 400.
    Grumpy has relatives there, so he's committed.

19. Grumpy Goat

Terry, thanks so much for the generous offer but the cost is to much for my budget. I guess I will have to put up with the daily commute, unless I decide to move to the Fairgrounds. :(

20. Grumpy Goat

I agree with you 100%. I am not looking forward to the 401 at all. Maybe I'll try a different route although the 401 makes the most sense relative to my destination.