No customization options are available.

Another RS Down

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by terry847, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

That is the way I will most likely go since they have insurance included and you can specify the amount of coverage.

2. Grumpy Goat

UPDATE - The bike is on the way back to Houston (since last Wednesday, actually) since I arranged with Haulbikes.com as they seemed decent, had good reviews, and had a "Fall Special" - "anywhere to anywhere" for $450. So I expect the bike to be back with me before mid-November (takes 2 weeks after pickup). Funnily enough the bike has to go north to their PA warehouse before making the final trip south to Houston. All transportation is on a large transport truck where they move many bikes at a time.

Other good news is that the other insurance company has finally accepted liability and I am corresponding with 2 adjusters (separate injury and property damage claims) on the amounts. They are allowing a diminished value amount based on 30% of the cost of the damages; apparently that is customary. The downside is any expenses incurred by my wife (flights to and from Asheville, and meals) are not covered - that comes up to about $1k. They suggested that her coming to Asheville and assisting me is not directly related to a loss (as she was not part of the accident) so is not covered. It ex-insurance adjuster in me see that logic, but at the end of the day if it were not for the accident I would not have incurred this expense.

On the injury side - the leg is still weak but the bones are healing well. Still walking with a limp and am going to get some physiotherapy in a couple of weeks to ensure that I am doing all I can to bring this back to 100% ASAP. Either way I intend to ride as soon as my knee gets sturdier which I hope would be in a month's time. :)

Meanwhile when the bike comes back I have a Vortex GPS mount to install, and will likely get a Denali Sound Bomb and do a horn upgrade at the same time.

Things are looking up. :)

3. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Good to hear things are going better, GG.

4. folagana

folagana Well-Known Member Contributor

Well, good news

5. Stuart Hawker

Stuart Hawker Member

Hope all works out well and speedy recovery !

6. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Glad to hear you are finally getting some resolution to this sticky wicket of a deal. I thought about you when a group of us were up there in Asheville recently and must admit ,
    I used unusual interest in watching my beans around entry and exit ramps. LOL At the end of the day that was the kind of accident that I doubt any manner of skill could have prevented which the reality we all face when we choose to ride moto. Best wishes over the holidays and look forward to hearing about your next adventure preferred over misadventure.

7. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Good to hear of your progress GG.

8. Grumpy Goat

Thanks guys.

Since the last post from me in this thread above (Oct.29 ... man, how time flies), I have made more progress with the leg and have completed 2 sessions of physiotherapy and they guess 3 more should do the trick. The weakness in the leg is diminishing such that I can do squats now and can balance on the leg for the same duration as on the other. I went for another visit to the ortho surgeon and he was pleased. Only needs to see me once more in 6 weeks. Showed me the xrays and the fractures are knitting back well and progress was seen since the last xray. Swelling is still there and comes and goes daily but that too is diminishing. So I am well on the mend. :)

As for riding - I have been doing that since 3rd week in November and today is the 2nd day riding in to work, thanks to the crappy weather and the fact that I was on vacation till the end of November. So back in the saddle per normal as well. :D

9. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Congratulations GG, your updates are a sobering reminder of the lengthy recuperation process required after any crash, no matter who causes it, and the determination required to achieve full recovery. Keep going.

Leon.P. and Grumpy Goat like this.
  10. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Good to hear that GG. I hope to be back in the saddle soon myself. I'm just waiting for the new bike to arrive. (I've shelved the Duc SS-S idea). Should be anytime soon. No great hurry as the weather is foul. Damp, foggy and cold.
    Mind you, once I get the bike I expect I'll ride it anyway. :D

Leon.P., boxerboy, DABs and 3 others like this.
  11. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Great update, GG. Glad to hear your news. Keep up the good work :)

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  12. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Good on you - what finally swayed you from the Duc SS

13. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Good news Wane and I hope that your recovery continues apace.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  14. Jim Evans

Great news GG. Enjoy the riding (wish I could, it's snowing).

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  15. Grumpy Goat

That is when you enjoy the snow-blower. :D I had to sell mine when leaving St.Catharines to come to Houston. The 'blower was bought in New Brunswick and hardly saw much good use in St.Catharines ...

16. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Good to read that both GG and OscarG are both on a good path to recovery......wishing you both continued positive development towards full strength for great rides ahead!

Leon.P. and Grumpy Goat like this.
  17. Jim Evans

Aaahhh. Selling the snowblower. Sounds like a dream...

18. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

The RS is so bloody good, I had already secured a very sweet deal on a 2017 model. For my useage the RS makes more sense. And I'm too ruddy impatient to wait until May!!
    In 12 months I'll have put 15k on the new RS, by then Ducati will have ironed out any teething problems and I will have had a chance to try one. So who knows this time next year...

Andy Griffiths likes this.
  19. Randal

Randal Active Member

Hi GG and Oscar,
    Thank you for being obedient patients, otherwise you would not have done so well with you recovery.
    Very glad for you and your families who also suffered due to these bad episodes of your lives.
    Wishing both of you further complete recovery and many many safe and happy miles in the saddles of your RS.:)

20. Grumpy Goat

Thanks. Yes, I ow a big debt of gratitude to my wife for dealing with all of the extra strain just after the accident, so he already has a huge Christmas present. :)

Leon.P. likes this.