No customization options are available.

Another RS Down

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by terry847, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Randal

Randal Active Member

Thats the spirit
    :D:D:D:D:D

2. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

Best wishes for a speedy recovery GG.

OldBavarian and Grumpy Goat like this.
  3. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

As an indication of just how smart the advertisements are getting on the forum, check out today's ad under GG's post. (And the next page had the usual Geico insurance ad.) Can't wait to see what pops up for ads if some posts a thread on impact of seat design on sexual function....

upload_2016-12-13_18-38-17.png

QuietProphet, Jasper and Grumpy Goat like this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Thanks Jasper. Almost there. Almost walking without a limp and can step up into the bed of my pickup. Last evening I even shifted a piece of furniture with a friend's help. The physiotherapy torture must be paying off. :)

Leon.P. and Jasper like this.
  5. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

The ads are even better than you think. I am guessing we all see something specifically targeting each of us. For instance, I didn't see that add, instead, I see ads for things that I have looked at recently while surfing the web. Specific to me.

6. Grumpy Goat

Yes, that's the "beauty" of cookies. I will admit that the targeted ads are way more useful than random ones, though.

7. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

ray2 likes this.
  8. JWMcDonald

JWMcDonald Active Member Contributor

...or part with the coin of the realm to become a forum contributor to remove all forum Ads...:cool:

Jim Evans, RJC_BMW and Grumpy Goat like this.
  9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I treat it like a magazine subscription.
    Seems like it's only $10, don't remember right now.

10. Mudshark

Mudshark New Member

this (plus uBlock Origin)
    I'm amazed folk put up with the internet I see on their screens

11. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

I haven't been without an ad-blocker for years. Ad black plus is excellent. A little icon at the top tells you how many ads were blocked on any given page. Sometime it's as high as 100! Most pages are nothing but ad litter. When people tell me they don't use a blocker, I look at them as if they told me men from Mars just landed in their back yard.... Huh? What?? Really??

12. Grumpy Goat

Do these ad blockers slow down page load? If so and for the levels of adds I see the ad blocker would not last long in my browser.

13. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

If they do, it's barely. My pages load fine, but if they take a half-sec longer than so be it.

14. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I thought about contributing and blocking the ads. However, these days I get some interesting stuff, like insurance ads, ads for little tops that you can spin with your fingers and watch till they fall down, and flashlights that can be seen from Mars. This current page offers me a Wi-Fi camera that I can nail to a tree as a security measure. There are also the ads for men's health potions that will give me a "ripped" body that woman I don't know will chase me because I will be so handsome. Luscious women of Asian, Philippino, Russian, Ukrainian and just generally horny attributes that just want to have sexual congress with me. My life is not that special.

Leon.P., Daniel, Bravo and 1 other person like this.
  15. Grumpy Goat

Hehehe ... I agree. Some of the ads are fine especially if they are appropriate to recent searches etc. and are embedded in the page (i.e. not pop-up / pop-over). Like the ads on this forum are fine. Not every post gets an ad and whatever ads are there are usually acceptable to me in terms of content.

Leon.P. and Jim Evans like this.
  16. RapidRoy

RapidRoy Member

Yikes! Sorry to hear this and hope you recover quickly. I always worry about this kind of thing. People tend to take shortcuts strapping things down and in maintaining their vehicles. It is a good reminder that we share roads and need to do our part to make sure we and our vehicles are safe -- someones life might depend on it.

17. Grumpy Goat

True. Thanks for the well wishes. It has been 1 year now since the accident and my leg is almost back to 100%. The only issue that remains is a bit of bone swelling at the fracture site where the bones have knitted back over the break, and puffy swelling at the ankle that increases over the course of the day. Function of the leg is 100% and I was riding ever since November last year.

As for the offending wheel ... it was not a tie-down issue. It was one of the wheels on one of the axles that broke off. Even more freaky. But you are right about sloppy maintenance and this certainly would have been the case in this instance. Sorry to be blunt but it is indeed amazing at be number of careless and ignorant people on the road. I see them all the time.

Leon.P. and ray2 like this.
  18. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

When I listen to Pandora radio on the desktop one of the large pop ups shows pictures of available women in Creston Iowa.
    Never fails, that's the ad that pops up when Debbie walks by :D

Leon.P., Jim Evans and ray2 like this.
  19. kenf

kenf New Member

20. kenf

kenf New Member

Grumpy,
    So sorry to hear of your accident. Heal quickly, know that you've got lots of support here. I hits home for all of us here on the forun because we all ride and understand the infinite possibilities of something like this happening. Keep safe.
    kenf