No customization options are available.

Another RS Down

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by terry847, Jul 27, 2016.

1. terry847

terry847 Active Member

I just found out that Grumpy Goat was involved in an accident on his way home from the MOA Rally in Hamburg, New York. I was fortunate to have met him at the Rally and am glad to say that while he was injured, he will be OK. This is the story as he related it.

I am sorry I have not been able to reply but you will not believe what happened last Thursday.

After having a blast riding the Blue Ridge Parkway and when riding in Ashville NC my tour came to an abrupt end.

I was in the leftmost lane on an interstate through town and 1.6 miles from my exit going to the KOA close by, when a loose wheel came across 3 lanes of traffic striking me on the right shin. I only saw it a fraction of a second before it hit me from a 2 o'clock direction. I looked down at my leg as I felt the intense pain and the foot felt more lose than the rest of my leg. I managed to bring the bike to a safe stop on the median area but had no leg to support the bike on the right, so I fell to the right also landing on my butt in a shooting up position, with the bike over my leg but not on it since it was supported by the right cylinder head and pannier. The cylinder head was smashed and oil was bleeding onto to highway and me. Traffic stopped quickly with no more injury to me. It was clear at that point that my leg was badly broken mid shin.

People sprang into action uprighting the bike and getting it and me onto the median. Someone called 911 which seemed to arrive promptly.

With the help of my new friend Chuck who happens to have a BMW dual purpose 700cc bike and who was immediately behind me, all my stuff was loaded into the ambulance with me and taken to the emergency department at Mission Hospital in Asheville where I remain as I write this.

I had surgery on the leg the following morning and a titanium"nail" was inserted full length through my femur from knee to ankle with 2 screws at each end. I can put no load on the right leg for 6 weeks and then after that I don't know.

The bike is in a storage lot and will be sent to Eurosport Asheville where it will be repaired. I don't know the details of all the damage beyond the right cylinder head. Both panniers are damaged as the left one somehow was of the bike at the scene although the right one was the one which took the force of the fall.

Chuck has been so helpful and has stepped up once again uplifting all my gear from my hospital room and will clean up all that is oil soaked and will ship all to me in Houston. He will also take my key fob to the dealer after the bike has been taken there.

Progressive has been in contact and I have claim numbers in both Progressive and Farm Bureau, the insurer of the other party.

Speaking of which, the other driver, 21 years old, said that she heard a strange nose as she was going down a nearby on ramp when she heard a funny sound before she realized she lost a wheel on what was a recently purchased 1989 Chevy of some type. The police said that she was issued 2 citations (unknown) but the police did not seem confident that the vehicle had adequate coverage.

Lots more to the story but this is all I can input on my phone in my hospital room. My wife arrived today from Houston so that has made things a little better.

Speedy recovery GG!!

2. OKBMW

OKBMW Active Member Contributor

Wow! what a story, I'm praying GG heals quickly.

Aussie Import likes this.
  3. Baldy

Baldy New Member

Well that sucks but it could have been much worse. Glad you are OK Grumpy and wishing you a speedy recovery.

4. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Sometimes you are sh*t out of luck as a Canadian friend of mine used to say. What are the chance of a stray wheel hitting a bike after coming across several lanes of traffic?
    Get well soon.

5. Charlie7

Charlie7 Member

So sorry to hear of this! Hope you mend quickly and that everything works out the best it can.

Charlie

6. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Wishing you a full and swift recovery Wayne.

7. Kevin Neustadt

Kevin Neustadt Member Contributor

Yikes, speedy recovery GG!

8. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

Best regards GG. Heal fast.

9. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Get well soon GG I hope the prognosis for the leg is good.

10. stageraider

stageraider New Member

Sorry to hear this horrific news. Get well soon GG!

11. anzac

anzac Member

Ouch!! not good pray speedy healing

12. macca

macca Administrator Staff Member Contributor

Please convey him best wishes from myself and I am sure everybody on here, please keep us updated with his recovery.

Speedy Recovery GG

Andy

13. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

GG I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you are back on your feet soon and all goes well with your leg mending itself.

woolf and Aussie Import like this.
  14. DABs

DABs Active Member

Bad luck at being in the wrong place at the wrong time of an unpredictable random event :-(
    Wishing you a full and quick recovery, GG!

Dave

15. Scott

Scott Active Member

GG,
    A speedy and complete recovery. You could rehearse such an event 1000 times and never get the timing right..........makes one wonder.

woolf likes this.
  16. Stan

Stan Active Member

Wishing you a speedy recovery GG and hope you are back on your bike soon.

woolf and Aussie Import like this.
  17. Randal

Randal Active Member

Sorry to hear of your mishap. I feel pain fir you. You will have good recovery , trust in HIM. I thought you were a bit quiet lately.
    Speedy recovery.

18. Barnesyboy

Barnesyboy Active Member

As said before what are the chances of that happening. Good luck and speedy recovery. Looking forward to your full report.

19. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Best wishes GG, really really bad luck - what are the chances of that ?
    Keep your spirits cup and hopefully you will have some way of seeing all the messages from the forum.

20. BobW

BobW Active Member

GG , I wish you a speedy and good recovery . This appears as one of those incidents , no matter how good and experienced you are , completely unavoidable .
    The RS is replaceable , you aren't , best wishes to you and your family .

Rgds Bob