No customization options are available.

Another Highway One warning

Discussion in 'USA West Riders' started by Richard230, May 24, 2017.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Another big slide just occurred along Highway 1, north of the town of Goleta. This looks like a worse problem than the bridge that failed further north. Anyone living between Goleta and Big Sur is really screwed. I don't think anyone is going to be touring this section of Highway 1 any time soon. Check out this photo: http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/61/33/11/12956249/5/920x920.jpg

Bill the Cat likes this.
  2. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Well-Known Member

Ouch! That looks like months to clear and repair.

3. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I get a chuckle...well, sort of...when I think about how people in California wanted to secede from the USA and go it alone. I'm sure, just like the infrastructure repairs from the rain, the state will ask Washington for money to fix this.

Chris

Bill the Cat likes this.
  4. Richard230

Last night the TV news showed a map that had the slide located a few miles north of Goleta. (Apparently, that was fake news.) ;) My newspaper today showed the location of the slide a few miles south of Goleta, thereby apparently cutting off the town, what with with the bridge out some 45 miles north. The article also said that the Post Ranch Inn, located in the area that is cut off from traffic, is selling helicopter rides between Monterey and the resort. A two to four day stay goes for between $4,300 and $13,500, which of course, includes the helicopter ride and hopefully a Continental breakfast. :rolleyes:

Bill the Cat likes this.
  5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

WOW upload_2017-5-24_19-56-38.gif

upload_2017-5-24_19-56-18.jpeg

6. jlduck

jlduck Well-Known Member

This latest slide really sucks. Goleta? Just North of Santa Barbara? I don't think so. Here is the map of the closure, basically from Ragged Point at the Southern end to Pfeiffer at the Northern end, with some access in the middle. road closures.jpg and ....by the way...Nacimento -Ferguson road is a BITCHEN road for motorcycling!

Bill the Cat and Richard230 like this.
  7. Richard230

I also heard last night that Nacimento-Fergusson Road is closed at times due to hauling activities related to highway construction on the various slide and bridge failures along Highway 1.

8. Nomad5326

Nomad5326 Member Contributor

Just picked up my RS this weekend in San Jose w/the intent of riding it south back to San Diego via HWY 1 and US 101. Was so bummed not to be able the use the 1 and see Big Sur. Hopefully this will all be cleared out, esp for the peeps that have to go to/from work and home on this beautiful road. Cheers!

9. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I don't know if other forum members are aware that the FIM televises the Trials championship (I think it is called X-Trials and it is the indoor version of that sport). Tony Boa is the top gun. Jaw dropping ability. Maybe the answer for Hwy 1 is to get a Montessa or a Gas Gas? When you see those guys climb onto the top of a container from a standing start maybe 2 meters away from the base, it is hard to see anything stopping them. Landslides? No problem!

10. Richard230

The latest word from Caltrans is that it will be over a year before they can reopen up the entire length of Highway 1. The big slide has created a new "point" on the California coast and it is likely a new highway will have to be built over or (somehow) around the slide and the state has no idea how that would be accomplished right now. At this time they are taking soil borings to determine the depth of the slide along a 2-mile stretch of the highway right-of-way to try to find a stable route past the slide area. Apparently digging out the old highway route and building retaining walls to support the adjacent slope is not an option. Also they are worried about the area's overall stability and that the slide might start moving again. So it is going to be a long time before anyone will be able to enjoy riding the entire length of Highway 1 and along the central California coast. :(

11. jlduck

jlduck Well-Known Member

A great alternative is the Lake Nascimento Road that heads west out of Paso Robles. It hooks up with the Jolon road that eventually gets you back to the 101 just North of King City. In less than 10 miles on the slab, you can take the Carmel Valley Road (39 miles of pure twisties!) to Carmel Valley and out to the PCH and you're good to go - as long as you go North! There is still plenty of great riding all over California, besides, who wants to get stuck behind gramps from Iowa in their RV, lumbering around corners at 5 mph, and then stopping to admire the view? (Trust me, it happens!)

12. Richard230

One irritation that I have been seeing lately (now that the summer driving season has arrived) along any portion of the Coast Highway are hordes of Cruise America rented motor homes. The people driving those things seem to have their heads up where the sun don't shine and don't mind having a half mile of vehicles backed up behind them. I guess that is because the Cruise America company took out the rear window of their vehicles, likely because gramps' family was playing bridge on the kitchen table next to the rear window (no seat belts) while tooling around. That no doubt looked kind of irritating to anyone stuck behind the road boulder. Better for following drivers not to see what is going on inside while stuck behind the home.

13. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Mother Nature is one impressive lady.
    If they do build a new road, how will they compact that depth of soil to insure a stable road bed? BTW - I'm not a road engineer...

14. Richard230

I have been involved in a lot of small road design projects, including soils investigations for a large new (now compete) subdivision on San Bruno Mountain, just south of San Francisco. Those soils investigations started in 1976 and went on for 20 years before construction ever started. We ended up with 23 volumes of soils and geotechnical reports that I had to read and file - likely never to be looked at again. So I have no illusions how difficult is will be for Caltrans to replace Highway 1 around, over, or through the new Mud Canyon Point. You are right, they won't be able to compact the loose soil to any great depth. Perhaps they might dig a trench, build a concrete arch, backfill with dirt and call it a tunnel through the slide area. Alternately, they might have to de-water the soil, install some sort of stabilization technology and build the road east, up and over the top of the slide. But that never worked very well when the state built the Devils Slide section of Highway 1 during the 1930's and they eventually built a $500,000,000 tunnel to bypass that slide area. So it will be interesting to see how they solve this problem. But I bet it is going to take more than a year (building the Devils Slide Tunnel took over 5 years and it is only about 1100 feet long) and cost really big bucks. However, all of the engineering and geotechnical consultants working on the project are going to have a lot of fun as they love an engineering challenge like that - especially when the taxpayers are paying for their work.

15. Richard230

My newspaper contained a confusing article about the Mud Canyon slide and Caltrans' plans to fix it. Something about routing a new road over the slide and installing the latest radar instruments to keep track it its movements. None of it made any sense to me 001.JPG unless they are talking about a construction road. However, the article contained the attached photo showing an aerial view of the current condition of the highway, which might be of interest to someone.

16. jlduck

jlduck Well-Known Member

I'm like, (in a Jeff Spicoli voice) so...is that, like... a new point break, dude?