No customization options are available.

And now the Air Filter change

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Boxerboy55, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Don't see how this is possible on the RS, where the side panels clip onto a channel in the top panel [as well as being screwed to the side of the bike]. You do have to take off the top panel to get to the air filter cover and to do that the sides have to come off. This is where the GS's design beats ours, and on that bike 15 minutes is good.

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I didn't try to do it the way he showed on my DVD.
    It looks like if you remove some of the side tank cover screws you may be able to spread those two panels apart enough to get the air cleaner cover off.
    I may try it next filter change to see if it works.
    Getting the tabs to release on the center cover may prove to be difficult.
    Edit:
    I went back and looked at my pictures.
    Looks like by the time I remove enough screws on the side tank covers enough to lift and spread for center cover removal I might as well take them clear off.
    Air Filter Change (4).JPG

3. Hotboot

Hotboot Active Member

I don't see any time savings and many opportunities to snap a tab or gouge bodywork. If we did 3 a day a shortcut would come to us, maybe just let the side panels dangle on their lower screws and do the filter.
    I'm on day 3.... still apart as my company has priority and it's COLD out there. Thanks again for the feedback, I think all the LC r1200 models have unique service procedures, the RS being involved. I bet the RT guys have fun too.

4. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Yep, the first time I did it, I decided it was better to just get the panels out of the way so I could see what I was doing.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  5. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

The RS is really a straight forward bike to work on; it is on the "better" side of the bikes that have enveloping body work. On my old "S", servicing of it was far more difficult. The side panels had 2 hidden 3 mm Hex bolts each side. One was behind the BMW roundel, the other was on the sides of the oil cooler opening at the front. You needed a ball ended key for the oil cooler one, and it helped (along with good lighting and double jointed hands) for the inside one.
    Once you had the panels off, you had to lift the tank, but before you could lift the tank, you had to undo the snorkel. However, you could not undo the snorkel unless you lifted the tank.
    When you lifted the tank you had to release the multi-clip for the injection pump in the tank and, to take the tank off, you had to pull off the fuel lines where there was no valve on either the supply or the return lines. You also had to unclip / disconnect a number of other drain, vent and balancing hoses.
    By that point, using a block of wood to support the tank as you fiddled, you could probably lift off the tank. Then you would be able to inspect and top up the battery!!!. You would also get access to the air cleaner.
    One of my first modifications to that bike was to get the "quick connect" fuel line fittings that shut off the fuel when disconnected. The plastic ones failed after a couple of years, the chrome / nickel steel ones were very good.
    The Spyder actually out-shines the "S" for awkward access. The front cylinder's valve cover is difficult to remove with various bolts just not being accessible without preparing special tools / selection in advance. The rear cylinder's valve cover has one bolt that basically requires you to strip all external and internal body work so you can shift the petrol tank back 4 mm or so, to get a spanner onto it. I have since made up a special spanner that I will attempt to use next time that may save all that work.

Richard230 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  6. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

That reminds me I still have a to do list. I see the RS still uses a plastic QD so I better lift the tank and replace the male QD with a medal one from Beemerboneyard.

On our K1200RS I replaced both ends and on the K1300S I replaced the male end.

7. Grumpy Goat

Here is my installation ... panels removed.

8. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Sometime could you start a new thread in Servicing and link all your How To videos there?
    Maybe Macca could make it a Sticky, making it easier to find the different videos, especially for new members.

9. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Looks like a 15 minute job to me, alright. :rolleyes: Nice work, Grumpy. :)

10. Grumpy Goat

Hahaha ... :D. Touché! The video is actually 11 minutes duration, so .... ;)

Jim Evans likes this.
  11. Grumpy Goat

Thanks Lee. Actually if I ever get off my butt I will make an RS website and out all my videos there. Too many resources for this bike scattered all over the place. o_O

12. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I have a Milwaukee battery screwdriver. It is much faster and easier than the T25 dedicated screwdriver. It also gives you consistent torque too.
    Me Spyder benefits from the clever 90° drive accessory.

13. Grumpy Goat

I have an old Black and Decker cordless. I forgot about that. :)

Jim Evans likes this.
  14. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Super job, GG. The little things like how hard to pull on a body panel are invaluable, as well as which ones really don't need to be removed. Now........if I could only get some decent non winter weather..to put some miles on.....to get to my next service. Thanks again. Stick. :cool:

LQB1 likes this.
  15. WilliamJ

WilliamJ Active Member

Great video. Screw driver hanging out of your pocket scared the shit out of me though. If that was me I probably would have scratched both cars in the garage and my bike...

Lee likes this.
  16. Grumpy Goat

You are welcome, Stick. There are many videos out there on how to do things but most seem to gloss over fine details, tips and tricks that despite watching those videos, one does not get and would have to resolve by yourself. I try and make my videos a it different in that I see added value in highlighting the pitfalls as well.

I am presently more than half way through editing a "first look" video of the GS-911 USB that I used to reset the service icon following the oil and air filter changes. Hopefully I can get that out this evening, but I travel tomorrow morning so that target might be missed ...

17. Grumpy Goat

Hehehehe ... yeah that was possible, however I was fully aware of it the whole time it was there. :D

Tip well taken though - thanks.

18. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Scared me also. He probably ran with scissors as a kid :)

19. Grumpy Goat

Nah ... I just liked to play with fire .... still do, to a point, but that is a separate discussion. :D

Jim Evans likes this.
  20. WilliamJ

WilliamJ Active Member

GG- your video caused me to look at your other videos- they are awesome and will be a big help to me!

Grumpy Goat likes this.