No customization options are available.

And now the Air Filter change

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Boxerboy55, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I remember old cars and some bikes kept the air filter in a very accessible "frying pan" on top of the engine, that could be opened by popping a few clips and so the paper filter could be changed in a matter of minutes.

Not so with our 21st century steed. I must have almost 30 screws on my bench, having fought my way in through the tank and side panels. All straightforward enough in the comfort of home, but no wonder dealers charge so much for simple servicing.

A £15 filter needs £100 of dealer labour to a find it. DIY rules.

I left the boxing up job till tomorrow when I'm fresh and may lay in some twin core cable to the dash for a future power socket or two while all the panels are off.

Maybe I'll even wipe down all those areas never that have before seen the light of day :)

One observation - why did only 1 screw each side of the tank panels come with a clear plastic washer to protect the paintwork?

The pics show 12,000 miles of not too dirty running. IMG_7445.JPG IMG_7446.JPG IMG_7447.JPG IMG_7449.JPG

Grumpy Goat and To and Fro like this.
  2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

The air filter on a K1200RS was under the gas tank :)

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Removing the center tank panel on the R1200RS confused me until I found out it just took a extra tug to release it from the gas cap.

Air Filter Change (5).JPG

Air Filter Change (4).JPG

4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Things could always be worse, eh? :D

5. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

All of the screws with shoulders (countersunk fasteners) had plastic washers on my RS. The non-shouldered fasteners did not.

6. Braap!

Braap! Member

Yes! I found that out only after 2 or three had fallen off the screws and rolled across the garage floor - ever tried to find a clear, thin, small plastic washer on a "not so" clean floor?

Grumpy Goat and duccrazydave like this.