No customization options are available.

Akropovic 2017. Removal of baffle?

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by Sterobman, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Sterobman

Sterobman New Member

Recently replaced factory muffler with Akropovic HP muffler. Improved note, however am disappointed with overall result. What is your view on removing the baffle? Does the sound get too loud, or is it just right? Also, how did you remove the baffle (2017 model) and is it able to be reinstalled later if required?

2. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Many say that the BMW FI ECU will compensate for the freer-flowing exhaust, but I'm not sure I'd remove the db-killer without re-flashing the fuel map. My bike seems to be right at the edge of being properly tuned. A freer-flowing, throaty exhaust is almost sure to pop on deceleration and the leaner tuning will cause higher combustion chamber temperatures and surging...unless the closed loop mapping is replaced with a richer open loop map (particularly for low speeds).

I have not altered the mapping on my RS, but the map on my Guzzi gave me fits for years until I had it re-flashed. Now it runs very well...

3. Sterobman

Sterobman New Member

James, I'm having the db-killer taken out tomorrow by BMW at no charge as i purchased it from them. Latest version of the Akropovic has no external hole predrilled to access the screw holding the baffle in. Glad BMW were happy enough to do this for me.

I sort of understand what you are saying, and will take your advise with me to BMW to ensure the bike is properly tuned to account for the more free flowing exhaust set up. Cheers.

James Bagley likes this.
  4. RJC_BMW

RJC_BMW Active Member

Really!? Am I the only one surprised that a BMW dealer would do such?

5. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Just be a Harley BMW dual line dealership.

6. Sterobman

Sterobman New Member

A great ride today through Victoria's great high country. DB-killer taken out by dealership (no connection with Harley). Bike sounds terrific and performed beautifully. Best decision to have it removed, makes the whole riding experience complete.

James Bagley likes this.