No customization options are available.

Akraprovic headers

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by Moggy, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

I have the Remus slip on with the db killer in. I tried it with it out, and even though a lot of you like loud, to me it sounded raspy. Was considering adding the header for less weight and more power, but thought the sound might be overkill, and again raspy sounding. Even with the header I would still probably retain the db killer but my biggest concern was the quality of sound, not just something loud...

2. woolf

woolf Active Member

the fun thing is the DYNO readings where so close with and without the DB killer . that I left it in . the SOUND is NOT raspy , and not to loud for me (or others) so I'm told . the sound when sifting up or down with GSAP is just wonderful .

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  3. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

Eric, is that sound bite with the db killer in or removed? Does it always backfire now? Thanks.

4. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

Can you tell me what gains in power you achieved with the full system with db killer installed? Thanks! Also, how did you purchase the header in Ca.? Most places don't want to sell the decat header in Ca.

5. woolf

woolf Active Member

I have a grandson in AZ . I will look some more for the DYNO read out an post them . :rolleyes:

6. Ebrew

Ebrew Member

IMG_5963.JPG Mmmmm blue :)

Best part

Tom Hagan, Braap!, wildoat and 2 others like this.
  7. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Agree with you on the DB killer..I found it too loud and raspy on my K1300S with the DB killer out but very nice sound with it in..looks a lot better than the OEM can and is a lot lighter...if I decide to get a Remus for my RS it will be more for looks and weight than anything else..

8. woolf

woolf Active Member

check the weight on the web they are almost the same , plus the akrapovic is covered by BMW's warranty for 3 yrs or 36,000 miles here in California and it is smog legal . Remus is NOT SMOG legal as of now ,nor is warranted by BMW .

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  9. woolf

woolf Active Member

Nov 1st , I got the DYNO sheets out BEFORE header 105.32hp @ engine rpm 7.71, 77.12 torque @ 6.81 engine rpm , at the rear wheel . AFTER header installation 113.89hp @ 7.89 engine rpm , 83.97 torque @6.39 engine rpm , at the rear wheel . purchase , it helps to have a grandson in AZ .

10. folagana

folagana Well-Known Member Contributor

It is 8% of increase (if the dyno told you the true), it is huge without an ECU remap...

11. woolf

woolf Active Member

the RS has been on two other DYNO's with the same results . as a mater of fact one run showed 2 more HP and a feet more toque . and still no remapping :rolleyes: :eek: o_O :cool:

12. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

Sorry if I didn't catch it, but are these numbers with the db killer in or removed? Thanks...

13. woolf

woolf Active Member

NO the DB KILLER is INSTALLED , to loud with out if .

14. SD-Biker

SD-Biker Member

just going to add my 2 cents, on the headers and tip. Titanium headers are night a day in weight savings, throttle response is much improved. I purchased separately and the tip came in a week after from germany (about half the price). I will say the akr. titanium tip is a very nice piece and does produced a sweeter sound, little louder but more of a throaty growl. There is weight savings but it's no wear near the difference in the headers. I did not dino before and after however I feel there is a noticeable difference in performance

James Kennedy likes this.
  15. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

If you go through the trouble of replacing the stock header you really should consider a freer flowing air filter and fuel enrichening. You can only exhaust out the amount of air breathed in. Of course this will create a lean condition that will need remedied. The end result is so much more than just noise...

16. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

So Rocky. What was your solution to change the mixture ratio and how did it effect the mileage?
    Things have changed with the electronics we have now. Years back I put a Kerker 4 in 1 on my Kawasaki 900. Also a K&N filter. Had to install larger jets to make the mixture right. Sounded and ran good. Only problem was touring at altitude. Had to stay on the gas or it would load up. Pain in the Ass. Almost fouled the plugs and broke down up at Lake Thomas Edison. She didn't like the slow goat roads at altitude.

17. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

I use the Booster Plug. Used in on my 2009 Moto Guzzi Sport with EFI and aftermarket exhaust and it worked great. Added it to my BMW R1200RS and it works great on it as well. Remus even recommends it when you purchase their system. You can read more about it here: https://www.remusexhaustshop.com/product/BMW-Booster-Plug-

James Kennedy likes this.
  18. James Kennedy

Good information Rocky. Thanks. Doesn't appear to be needed with the Akrapovic I went with but definitely appears to improve idle and midrange performance.

19. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

Not needed unless you go with a freer flowing air filter such as a K&N. I don't know why you would purchase a new freer flowing header and then not purchase the filter. Your gains without it are very little. The Akrapovic header is what I purchased, and is nearly identical to the Remus. Unless you just wanted more sound, and not performance, but if that were the case the muffler does that.

20. James Kennedy

I'm a but nervous about the foam filters. A diesel mechanic once told me to stay with the stock paper filter on my diesel. He said the foam filters allowed more fine particulate in causing cylinder. I've never researched it but it always stuck in my head.