No customization options are available.

Akraprovic headers

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by Moggy, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Moggy

Moggy New Member

has any one fitted the Akra headers yet? Wanted an honest opinion of the ease of fitment with the standard can and actual dyno proof not seat of the pants impressions of power gains. I also note from a couple of mates who have 1200 adventures who did similar that despite claims by Akra they needed to fit power commanders to stop them stalling at junctions and I don't want to go down that route cheers Moggy

2. KOCook

KOCook Active Member

Moggy, you can take what Akrapovič says to the bank. Their dynamometer chart looks spot on (100 bumped to 105 HP at the rear wheel) for a full system with no other mods. I have emailed them for confirmation that they haven't done anything else to the test mule.

Topaw likes this.
  3. jamesgarnor

jamesgarnor Active Member

I'm so tempted to get the stainless headers, will the bike pass an MOT when it needs it?

4. jamesgarnor

I was that tempted I've just ordered the stainless ones................

5. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

6. KOCook

KOCook Active Member

From Akrapovič: "The performance statistics located on our website are based off of all stock settings in place. We simply install the system on the stock motorcycle and run the performance test 3 times. We then take an average of the 3 outputs which is then supplied as technical data on our website for each system."

7. steeve

steeve Member

If youre with Akrapovic then perhaps you can correct the fitting instructions?
    It tells you to replace the servo motor before fitting the pipes, it should be after.

8. Moggy

Moggy New Member

Also note figures on Akrapvic website are for the old air cooled engines not the new water cooled one on the 2015 RS so not surprised fitting instructions are wrong Phil

9. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

And notify insurance company that you have a performance-enhancing modification :)

Else they'll throw you out when the big day comes. Null And Void.

James Kennedy likes this.
  10. steeve

steeve Member

So two assembly tips.
    One, fit the servo motor after you've fitted the headers.
    Two, plug the holes in the back of the servo motor housing before fitting or else it will fill up with water. (I'm surprised that Akrapovic don't supply blanking plugs, they ought to).

11. woolf

woolf Active Member

For California the header dose not have a cat . The slip on is legal here in California , the price of the added HP (8hp) @the rear wheel it's worth the money ???

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  12. Eric van der Valk

Eric van der Valk Active Member

How do you like yours stainless headers?
    I have the complete titanium system:
    It's awesome! :D

13. jamesgarnor

Stunning.................

14. Steve L

Steve L Active Member

I was just talking to a bloke who does dyno tunes and he owns a GS LC and he said that he fitted a full Arrow system plus a PCV and after the dyno tune he was getting 110 at the back wheel. I was thinking about this, but for the cost of approx $1700 AUD its seems like a lot of money for 10 HP.

15. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

It is still a lot less than a Screaming Eagle kit for a Harley!!!

16. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

But the sound is. I bought the slip on and the sound difference wasn't much. It only changed the tone a bit. Then I ran across a guy that also installed the Akro headers. Boy did that change the sound. Really nice. Bottom line......if you're in California don't waste your money unless you're going all the way.

17. James Kennedy

Did you also get their power commander?

18. woolf

woolf Active Member

My header is titanium , and I didn't add the power commander . the shop that ran it on the DYNO had installed one on a R1200R and it made less power to the rear wheel than mine with out it

19. James Kennedy

Good info and thanks. Being a California resident I'm sure I got the quietist one. Not much louder than stock but I do like the enhanced tone. Hard to tell without a synonym but it's doesn't seem to pull as wel like from 4 to 6K. The guy on the R I was talking to had the titanium headers also and it sounded great. Since the Akro didn't have the exhaust flapper he just capped off the wires on that little servo. So.....if I go ahead and install the titanium headers will I be adding a bit of power?
    Looks like a bit of a pain in the ass to get the do killer out but it's going to involve removing the Akro to do it. At this point I can't even tell what kind of tool I'll need to remove that little retaining screw. Anyway I thought I'd remove it and see how it effects the power. And of course to see what it sounds like. And yes, when I was a kid I used balloons and cards on my bicycle spokes for the sound.
    A little off subject but I put a Vance & Hines on my 2011 Concours and it sounded great.

20. woolf

woolf Active Member

My exhaust has the DB killer installed . sounds great , the best thing is the roll on from any speed , and any gear is supper . NO lose of mid range power .

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016