No customization options are available.

Akrapovic

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Andy Griffiths, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Roger

Roger Active Member

Don't need , but want ! Go for it .:eek: :rolleyes: :cool:[/QUOTE]
    One of the problems is that the wife says if I can afford to spend £800 on a silencer just to alter the noise, then I can afford to take her out to better places than the local eatery! I mean, come on here guys, a couple of trips to a posh nosh and I could have bought cylinder head protectors!

2. jamesgarnor

jamesgarnor Active Member

3. oddfin

oddfin New Member

My bikes due for delivery mid April, yesterday I added the akro to the order, after some negotiations I got the price down to an eye watering £800! Hope it's worth it.

4. Roger

Roger Active Member

The retail price for the Akrapovic is £805 in the uk, but I still cant work out if that includes the carbon heat shield rrp £120 when bought separately... as I have just had to do.

5. jamesgarnor

jamesgarnor Active Member

The Akra from BMW includes the heat shield, its specifically mentioned in the BMW price list.

6. loubre

loubre Active Member Contributor

Due to an issue with Australian approvals at the moment for the BMW version of the Akrapovic my dealer supplied the other Akrapovic can which also supposedly gives a slight performance gain, came with the carbon heat shield in the box.

7. Rollmops

Rollmops Active Member

Do you mean they fitted the one with the Akra logo on a black sticker, or is the logo still laser etched ? I ordered my RS with the Akra, and would be REALLY pissed if the paid OEM option would come with that ugly ass sticker...

8. Roger

Roger Active Member

Both silencers are identical (stickered or laser etched) the only difference is the badging. This is something many dealers are quick to point out in their sales blurb. BMW have laser etching and costs £805.00 in the uk, or you can go to Akrapovic and get the same thing much cheaper with a sticker on it. They cant sell the "genuine" BMW laser model at £100 odd pounds cheaper as that would undercut the firms who they sell to.
    If your dealer charged you for a BMW Akro and fitted an Akro Akro he is selling under false pretenses to make another £100+ profit. in the UK that is illegal.

9. Roger

Roger Active Member

By the way Andy, I have just fitted one and it has an alarming bark when you blip the throttle or it first starts up or under load, but settles down to a nice burble when you are cruising. I have got used to stock pipes and find it a bit unsettling at the moment, so I'm trying to recall my youth and noisy pipes to ease my conscience.

Andy Griffiths likes this.
  10. loubre

loubre Active Member Contributor

They supplied the one with the sticker as there was an issue with Australian compliance on the BMW laser etched ones at the time, they credited me the difference in price between the two so I'm happy.

Roger likes this.
  11. Rollmops

Rollmops Active Member

Well, that's odd, my understanding was that they were identical, except for the branding, and price... Really confusing, but you seem to be happy so I guess there is no need to investigate further.

12. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

Just curious if you noticed any power loss after installing the Akra? Did you make any additional modifications i.e. Booster plug or anything? After installing the Akra it feels like I lost a little pull. Just a bit.

13. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

Anytime you add a freer flowing exhaust you really need to upgrade to a freer flowing air filter to expect any gains. Can't exhaust out more air than you bring in. I went to a K&N air filter with my Akro/Remus exhaust, then added a Booster Plug. Noticeable difference.

14. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Hi Rocky, nothing to do with this post, but what happened to the speed record attempt, Facebook said it was cancelled?

15. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

We did actually run. 12,000 foot elevation. We had a specially built turbo to compensate for the altitude that made even more boost. Unfortunately, we had several turbo/manifold failures. I ran 378 mph 3/4 mile before the timed mile and lost pressure when the turbo manifold blew off. Was tracking a 400 mph run, but too many mechanical gremlins kept us from achieving our goal. Still, it was my 2nd fastest pass ever, and definitely the fastest pass in history in Bolivia.

Scorch and stuart2820 like this.
  16. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear about the problems, are you planning another go?

17. James Kennedy

Did you go with Akra Headers too?

18. James Kennedy

Question. I only installed the Akra slip on and the performance is very similar to the stock. My bike just seems to run out of steam over 6K in 4th thru 6th. Same performancence Akra or stock. I just ordered the Akra headers to go with their slip on. Do you think it may help with my issue? Thanks.