No customization options are available.

Advice Needed on Battery Recharging

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Jeff La Force, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Jeff La Force

Jeff La Force Member

Ok, I feel really foolish . . . Due too circumstances beyond my control, I had to step off the bike for about six weeks. Now the battery is almost dead. Any advice on how to recharge? I wish I was more mechanically inclined.
    Best Regards,
    Jeff

2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Normally I would just charge it in situ. I have heard an explanation from my dealer that if the charge gets too low this solution doesn't work and was given some palaver about cycling the battery between full charge and discharge. I an sceptical as to the need with a lead acid battery.

ray2 likes this.
  3. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

Being a BMW the battery has a quirky retaining system that looks like a german geezer with a white coat and round spectacles designed it - with a brief that it must be functional but unfathomable for the average mortal. If one persists and is able to overcome the weird bracket gizmo it is possible to yank the battery out of its compartment and then remove the leads (disconnect earth lead first). There's a hard to understand explanation in the manual with a completely impossible to understand diagram but you may find this helpful, I didn't. Good luck

swedkg, duccrazydave and Richard230 like this.
  4. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

I guess you don't own any battery maintenance devices? Buy an Optimate or Deltran Battery Tender and connect it to the battery directly.

ray2, Richard230, MrVvrroomm and 3 others like this.
  5. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

Johann and mrj like this.
  6. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Do you have a parasitic load on the battery such as an alarm or phone charger that is not turned off? The RS has an AGM battery and this should not discharge in 6 weeks. I have 2 bikes and it can be longer than 6 weeks in between rides on the bike not used for commuting.
    You need a fairly modern battery charger for the AGM battery as this type of battery needs a different charging cycle to a wet battery. A couple of suggestions have been made above. Add Ctek to that list.
    Alternatively, jump start the bike from another vehicle (or battery pack) and go for a decent ride.

ray2 likes this.
  7. boxter

boxter Active Member

Optimate 4, fit lead to battery for future charging too, but would need 12 hrs to charge, just to start.

Do not bump start, can cause safety issues.

Monitoring my volt drop per day means the battery voltage would be marginal after 6 weeks, and the bike has a minimum voltage, below that the bike will not even try, this being around 11 volt.

Ged

8. Allan "redfox"

Allan "redfox" Active Member

After reading "this" post search on internet for the optimate 4 canbus and press on the button BUY ))) in a few days hook it up your motorcycle a few days, your done
    But honestly 6 weeks is way too short to get a dead battery... should mention it to your dealer.

9. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Jeff,
    First, check to see if your dealer installed a SAE two-prong connector to the battery? If so, it's likely "wedged" between a frame member and some other component below the seat on the left-hand side of the bike. The second step is to purchase a Battery Tender/CTEK/Optimate/Accumate/NOCCO/etc....smart trickle charger/maintainer

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...87&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=battery+tender&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FQBWCY/ref=psdc_15707061_t1_B006G14FK8
    https://www.amazon.com/OptiMATE-Pro...=UTF8&qid=1515333514&sr=1-1&keywords=optimate
    https://www.amazon.com/AccuMate-TM-08-ChargeMatic-Battery-charger-maintainer/dp/B0001V0A94
    https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3500-U...UTF8&qid=1515333572&sr=1-2&keywords=noco&th=1
    and connect it to the SAE plug.

If there is no SAE plug installed, you can either buy one for $6
    https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ
    and install or purchase the Optimate charger that can handle the CANBUS technology that controls the BMW DIN receptacle on your bike.
    https://www.amazon.com/OptiMate-DUA...id=1515333833&sr=1-1&keywords=optimate+Canbus
    Or, if you're feeling extremely generous, you could buy a BMW-branded CANBUS compatible charger for a likely higher price.
    BMW Motorcycles CAN-BUS Battery Charger BMW part no. 77028551897

If you install the SAE plug, you'll have that outlet for uses that may be discovered at a later date....

As always.......may Laforce be with you....

ray2 and Lee like this.
  10. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

I get a yellow light on my charging pigtail after about 3 weeks on my RS. This doesn’t indicate a dead battery, but one that is approaching a marginal condition. This is important because low voltage on your battery can cause issues for sensors...potentially an expensive fix. Try one of the quality chargers available out there; like the Optimate, Battery Tender, or CTEK. These not only charge your battery, but maintain the charge automatically. In addition, most have a program to prevent battery nasties like sulfation. These are excellent tools for all your bikes and are highly recommended.

boxter likes this.
  11. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Jeff,
    I have this charger which I bought 4 years ago when I bought my previous bike and which I never used. Till 2 days ago.
    [​IMG]
    I noticed that there was some flickering of my Denali D2 lights when at idle, and then couple of days ago when I started the bike after not riding it for a week due to the frigid temperatures (for Houston) it did not start the first time. The starter cranked half way and then then almost sounded like it seized. I hit the stop switch and restarted the bike and it started although "not energetically". Conclusion - the battery is getting old and needs a little trickle charging if the bike is not ridden for a week or more especially in cool weather.

So I hooked it up to the above charger using the dealer-installed pigtail direct to the battery and in less than 24 hours I got the green light. Started the bike afterwards and so far all seems fine and there is no flickering of my D2s. BTW - the above charger comes with a pigtail that you can attach to the battery yourself - not hard.

ray2 likes this.
  12. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

That is 6 weeks in warm and sunny Austin? Shouldn't have happened. (Though like everyone else, on general principle, I run a battery tender whenever I'm off the bike and off the road.)
    Lots of posts on "old batteries" on bikes from the factory.... My speculation is that many of the bikes had boards that were causing a constant draw. My faulty board was replaced when I bought the bike (and the new battery went in a few months later). I suspect there are still a few bikes with a constant background draw out there, that should be under warranty. Not a bad idea to hook it up and check.

If you have the resources, now's the time to put in a new, bigger 14 AH battery (remove the spacer).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Grumpy Goat and Jeff La Force like this.
  13. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

If they use the same philosophy on the bikes that they do on cars, it is the philosophy of: "Never use two components to accomplish a task if you can design it to use eight!" :)

14. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

As I have stated above, there needs to be a parasitic drain for the battery to be flat after 6 weeks. Most common thing is an alarm then accessories that are not on a switched circuit. If there are none of these then it could be one of the bike systems not shutting down. On the UKGSer forums people have reported a number of odd things happening but none have been in high volume and have probably been glitches in the ECU software that should be fixed with a master reset or overwrite. Problems encountered from memory are the CANBUS remaining active, satnav left on the bike not shutting down completely and the ring antennae not shutting down (it should only wake up when the keyless button is pressed or key turned on EU bikes with chipped keys).

Having worked for a company that manufactured electronics designed by a motor manufacturer, I would suggest these glitches are always related to design cock-ups rather than mysteriously aged batteries turning up in the factory. We used to see the same circuit boards back 3 or 4 times for an update of the firmware, either by swapping out a chip or more likely nowadays, updating some Flash memory.

ray2 likes this.
  15. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

For all the good it has done ! I have his bmw unit since 2015 when I got my first RS to support the alarm as advised.
    http://www.nippynormans.com/r1200rs-lc-2015-on/bmw-charger-for-r1200gs-lc-k1600gtgtl
    Battery has been 'slow' on engine turnover for weeks but dealership view was it hasn't failed?
    Well today it did, last used two weeks ago for 98 miles according to the satnav and left on charger over Christmas.
    Bike did start but after 10 seconds I turned off to check satnav fitting as the screen was blank, that was all it took, battery completely unable to restart bike.
    Called bmw 0800 breakdown line ( one of their options has a fault! 3 rings and then cutting out to number unobtainable) and two hours later a local breakdown service did visit but agreed with me it seems I need a new battery. Bike did actually start but then I connected the above charger which shows 11.8 volts and now, over 3 hours later it shows 100%, charging at 0.01amp and 14.4 volts. Called main dealer but unable to book in for a check before replacement can be agreed until tomorrow. Bike could have been recovered by breakdown service and a loan bike (car they think?) could be delivered but I have declined this waste of money.
    Will update on the 'warranty thread' later, Dave

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  16. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

It says in the owner manual something about the battery will need to be on a charger if the bike is unused for more than 2 0r 3 weeks ( cant remember which) so it's not surprising the thing is flat after 6 weeks. There is a constant drain on the battery because these bikes 'never sleep' - the computer stays on standby, if it completely shut down it would take a stupid amount of time to reboot (due to the small size of the processor). It's what we get for having a modern bike with lots of electronics, but having said that the factory batteries are not that great, mine was kaput after a few months

boxter likes this.
  17. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

~$147 is a lot of money for a battery maintainer................

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  18. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Well, actually it says 4 weeks, but that's to cover the alarm system that most of us didn't buy because word was it had sufficient draw to run the battery down after a few weeks (depending on the health of the battery).

With my GPS alarm (Scorpio Ride) disconnected, I have 0.00 amp draw after 2 minutes - the time it takes all the computer boards to shut down. (Not clear how much current the clock and such use, but the guys at the shop can't measure it.)

upload_2018-1-7_16-42-40.png

upload_2018-1-7_16-44-21.png

Grumpy Goat and shorn sheep like this.
  19. Alda

Alda Active Member

20. Jeff La Force

Jeff La Force Member

Affirmative. Thank You Sir!