No customization options are available.

Adding a rear brake light

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by Georryan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Georryan

Georryan Member

Ok, so I need some help from the more experienced CANBUS gurus out there that have been playing with these things longer than me.

I bought the SHAD under-mount brake light to mount to the top case mount. It only has 2 wires (power and ground). So I decided to hook it up to the brake/ground and leave the tail light wire alone. At least the brake light will light up when I apply the brakes. The Brake Light that Shad supplies is an LED light as well.

So I hooked it up, and it will light up when I first apply the brakes, but then immediately get the light fault code on the dash, and both brake lights fail to turn on/get brighter when brakes are applied.

So what am I missing here? If it matters I've only tested this when the ignition was on but the bike wasn't started. The kiddos have been sleeping each time I've worked on it and their room is on the other side of the garage wall.

-Ryan

2. Georryan

Georryan Member

Well, thought I should add some more information. I am also hooking up a supabrake 2 module. I read on another forum that a newer GS was able to add the SHAD LED light without issue. My guess is that the modulating brake light module may be the problem. It works fine on my bike with my single tail light, but if I add the additional brake light, it seems to have a problem. My guess is the module might be the key. I sent an email to the company to see if they've run into this before.

3. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

One of the members here has a ViziTek flasher LED on and I believe it has no issues with Canbus faults. Will that not work for you?
    Also I bought my son the same brand for his Yamaha and it is so good I am getting one for my RS.

4. tuco

tuco Member Contributor

Hi,
    which side are you adding your SHAD brake light +12V wire to (1 & 3) or (2 & 3) ?
    [supabrake input or output side?]
    Original BMW harness wire +12V -- (1) --> supabrake --(2)--> brake light/led
    : :
    : :
    Original BMW harness wire Ground (3) ----------+----------------------+

If (2 & 3), try on the input side of the supabrake (1 & 3)
    If (1 & 3), sounds like you make need a relay, I had to install one to drive the brake light on my GIVI
    top box (it has a non LED brake light). Like you, it would fire once and then register a fault,
    which cleared when the ignition was turned off/on.
    Wire the 12V relay coil across (1 & 3). I used the +12V from the back of the accessory socket to provide switched +12V to the
    relay +12V input terminal, and then wired the brake light +12V to the relay +12V switched output.

5. Matthew

Matthew New Member

tuco hi,
    I have just put my givi box with led brake lights on to my new RS and was wondering how to connect as have heard it can give problems with the canbus. Sounds like you know what your doing , any chance you can give some more info please
    type / name of 12v relay you used and if possible some pics of the wiring or a diagram to help someone with no understanding of electronics .
    thks

6. reitsmjo

reitsmjo Member

I wonder if by adding a relay you negate one of the benefits of the LED light being the faster light time?? The relay must take an eternity to activate, relatively speaking??

7. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I had the Clearwater system front and rear lighting done and find it very good . It uses a "Can Opener" system which utilizes the can bus and plugs into the bike system which allows control of lighting parameters by existing fittings on the bike itself... Love the beams at night and they are adjustable in 20% gradients . The rear tail light flashes when you apply brakes then holds steady after about five flashes. This too can be varied with settings you control on the bike. They were not cheap and I had the dealer install them as it was not simple to wire both front and rear and install the can opener and relays which avoid all the hassles with faults and can bus . Highly recommend the end result though.

vat and JWMcDonald like this.
  8. PeterG

PeterG Active Member

Hopefully all of you know how lucky you are. Here only additional lights for use when fog or other conditions lead to reduced visibility are legal. No chance of improving the unsatisfying dimmed headlights :mad:

9. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I installed the Clearwater running lights and flashing LED taillight ....I suppose I could've used fog lights instead of Running lights but we have very little fog here and deer on long straightaways is a greater concern ...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Charles likes this.
  10. Charles

Charles Active Member

I also have the Clearwater Darla's up front and the Billie Jr. brake light. It works flawlessly. I installed everything in about 2.5 hours taking the right side of the bikes fairing off the bike. Plus the Billie cable will run up through the tail removing 5 screws. The ability to change the brightness on each item and the ability to change how the brake light flashes is also worth the money.

11. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Well that is an impressive install. My tech took more than three hours and he has installed many of them so you must be pretty good at the electrics. As for me it took me at least that long to figure out how to program all the different setting LOL

12. Charles

Charles Active Member

I had already asked a ton of question and watched multiple videos to help speed it up. That did not include getting the angle of the lights just right. That took me about 45 minutes because I was doing it by myself.

13. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

All that talent and humility too. Not a bad recommendation.

14. vat

vat Active Member

I have the same set up and love it, after years of doing all kinds of funky switches and relays. And it's it a easy date to install

Charles likes this.
  15. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

I just looked up this Billie Jr brake light and learned the Clearwater company only configured the CANopener for US use only. Does that mean the American CAN bus differs from the European one?
    I want something simular, was thinking about mounting brake lights right next to the tail light, adjusting or removing the two black plastic caps that are there now.
    Anyone with a solution that will work on my 2015 European RS?

16. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

UncleBob and Bill the Cat like this.
  17. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

5.3 ounces! Many of us spend hundreds of bucks to save a few oz in helmet weight. I don't think it's going to catch on...

18. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Well stick it on the back of the bike instead. Near the number plate for instance. Sort of like a brake light that flashes when you slow down.
    Just a thought.

Jim Evans likes this.
  19. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Hmm. Shoulda thought of that. Perhaps this pint of Kilkenny I'm drinking is not helping my thought process.

oscarguitar likes this.
  20. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

Good news with this solution: no can opening, easy mounting and optional alerting service.
    Bad need: battery involved, yet another thing that requires periodic charging.