No customization options are available.

Action Camera recommendations

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Willy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Alda

Alda Active Member

Found it
    http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/camera-help-required.3535/page-2#post-56055
    Alan

2. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Go-pro knock-offs are available for $30~40 on ebay. I bought one as a toy but never mounted it to the bike

3. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Hi Peter, I quite like the look of the Roadhawk. How did you pick up the switched positive connection on the hardwire kit, what did you connect to? I will either hardwire into the bike, or I may use a powerbank and their waterproof USB lead.
    Thanks Mark

4. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Hiya Mark. I use a power bank, but the Roadhawk actually has its own relay with a red wire that you connect to an ignition live. I didn’t use it myself but I do appreciate them including the facility.
    I use my alarm live feed but I appreciate that not everyone has an alarm. The Roadhawk has been great. A mate who is a courier in London uses 2.

5. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback Peter. Looks like it will be the Roadhawk probably. May mount it to the helmet with a powerbank in my pocket. I have seen your footage on YouTube plus some others, looks good but I am sure YouTube doesn't do it justice, can you read the number plates of incoming traffic ok? On YouTube they can look a bit blurry.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  6. Peter Burridge

I’ll check some footage. My helmet mounted YouTube is with an old Polaroid camera not the Roadhawk. That is a good cheap camera but no looping or bike power.

7. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

I've just upgraded my phone and they're sending me one of 360 camera thingies as part of the deal.Some friends of mine (honestly I do have some) have sent me footage they've done while out riding and it looks quite good.
    I'll only be using it while on rideouts in conjunction with my gopro. It'll be nice to get a different perspective. It's dustproof and splash proof so not as good as the gopro in that respect. Really the only problem I can forsee is that it's going to be a bit of a cunt to get my lid on while wearing the vr goggles.

Willy and Peter Burridge like this.
  8. Peter Burridge

:eek::D

9. Peter Burridge

I had a look at my Roadhawk output with regard to Numberplates. Not brilliant. I'll check the camera settings. There is a fair amount of vibration too as I mount the camera on the underside of the nose fairing.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 09.58.10.png

10. sadrik

sadrik New Member

I love my Sena 10c helmet cam/comm. It has its issues, but its form factor is IMO superior to GoPro and most of the others out there, and with its usb charging port on the bottom, I can keep the unit charged while I ride from a battery I keep in my jacket pocket. (I primarily use an Anker Powercore+ 10050, giving me about 16 hours of Sena joy)

I recently picked up an Innovv C5. While the 10c is awesome, it is helmet mounted, so you don't get to enjoy the lean of the bike, etc. The C5 is meant for semi-permanent installation, so no battery nonsense. Can't wait to wire it up.

11. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Hi Peter, thanks for update. I think with the speed of incoming traffic and recording at 30fps it is going to be difficult getting the number plate clear, however I think the Roadhawk has many advantages over some of the others out there, mainly loop recording and external power for long rides, no point going on a 5 hour ride with a camera that can only record for 2! It's also small, aerodynamic and light. The only other one may be the TomTom but it's over twice the weight and much bigger.

12. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Hi Bravo, what go pro do you use and if it's not too personal do you mount it on your helmet......err lid!

Bravo likes this.
  13. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

I'e got a cheap n cheerful hero (was £100 3 years ago)it works just fine. It's mounted on the top yoke to minimise the wind noise due to its internal microphone. I use my old k1300 ram mount. The bmw badge is whipped out,I have a big fuck off washer on the bottom side,another big fuck off washer on top,the ram mount goes through and tightened up,clamping the washers (big fuck off ones)tight.I have a 6 inch extension. .... oo er missus to keep the camera above the clocks,finally a ball mount on the bottom of the camera. It all sounds a bit long winded and Heath Robinson but I've had no problems with it..... except I have to mount it a bit on the angle so it don't obscure the gear indicator.
    The nice thing about the rs is it don't reflect the clocks in the screen,I've got footage taken during one of the south west rides of me on my old K13 and you can see in the screen that I was 150 mph round some of the back roads(with the Mrs riding pillon:().
    If you buy a go pro with a separate mic (to cut down on wind noise)I can testify that the go pro suction mount is good to an indicated 170 mph.

Willy likes this.
  14. Soch

Soch Member

I use a Sony action cam attached to my helmet with heavy duty Scotch velcro. Been using it for years without issue, and with the narrow oval design of this camera, looks good when attached to the helmet.

15. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

If the Sena 10C is of interest there is an update coming I think called the 10C EVO.
    But no idea when.

16. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

Sena doesn't know either it seems. :( I'd like to get the updated 10C EVO myself. It was announced earlier in 2017, then delayed till mid-summer I think. Finally, it was delayed till the end of November 2017. By the time it comes out, it'll be at least a year behind schedule. I'm not sure I want to be the first to use it, or if I do, I think I want an extended warranty.

Chris