No customization options are available.

Action Camera recommendations

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Willy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Looking to get an action camera for recording ride outs and also perhaps to use as a bike 'dashcam'. Don't really want to spend silly money on one. Been reading about the Sena Prism. Helmet mount looks really good, camera is waterproof and integrates with the Sena headsets to give you record on/off control and Bluetooths the headset microphone so you can put commentary on your video. However I have heard when connected to the headset you can't listen to music. I think this may be only when using the microphone but I can't get confirmation you can switch the microphone on and off by using the headset controls ( like you do with your intercom buddy). Another option is the gopro session camera, nice and small but no external mic option so just built in mic so end up with no real time commentary.
    Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
    Alda, I think you installed a front and rear camera fixed to the bike, how is that going?
    Thanks Willy

2. dkjkwood

dkjkwood Member

I've got a go pro hero session, the little cube. Love the size, don't particularly like the functionality. I hoped to take still pictures, it's capable, but you have to toggle thru some menus to get there. Not something you can do on the fly. No complaints on the video functionality.

3. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

I have the Go Pro hero session 5 which was given to me as a birthday present. As above thread I find the video good but the recording time / battery life is too short. Also not having a screen makes it more difficult to use when trying to frame videos and photos. Also the battery cannot be changed which necessitates a 2-3 hour recharge time between recording sessions. This is a pain when touring or on longer rides. I think it's a case of you get what you pay for, The current Go Pro Black 6 would be ideal but it is very expensive. It has the led screen and changeable batteries, which make it ideal for touring and longer rides as you can carry spare batteries. I may trade up to it when funds allow. I would prefer a camera that is powered directly by the bike with continuous loop recording, but haven't found anything suitable. If anyone is aware of a camera that can be powered by the bike let me know please.

4. Dorschdn

Dorschdn New Member

Well, if you don’t want to do professional vlogging and are looking for a fairly cheap camera I can recommend the SJCam SJ7 or SJ6 Legend (150-120 €). I got the latter and i am fine with the quality.

There is one downside though, you have to buy an external microphone from SJcam, at least for the SJ6 Legend (couldn’t get other micro usb mics working) and the mic connects to the micro usb port, so you cannot run microphone and external power at the same time.

You can check the quality of videos in this thread http://r1200rsforums.com/posts/53380/ I have posted two videos there and on youtube you can also find some camera comparison videos.

Jasper likes this.
  5. lars Ormvold

lars Ormvold Active Member

I have the new Navigator VI on my RS (the old Nav V was smashed during an accident . . . ), and I have noticed it has software for controlling Garmin cameras. I don't have any camera on my bike, but with the ability to control the camera from the Nav VI, I would probabaly go for Garmin if/when I choose to have one. upload_2017-11-22_10-27-22.png

PaulB_UK likes this.
  6. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Jasper likes this.
  7. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Hi Jasper,
    had the same issue last year on holiday, cheap (£35/40) ODRVM camera and every hour I would have to change the battery, which then reset the date.
    Quality was ok in Norway -
    Camera was mounted on the left mirror stem. (32gb max - over 5 hours capacity) and could be controlled from my amazon fire(but not the new model)
    I then saw this modification as a guide -
    and decided, rather than wreck my current case it was cheaper to buy a new odrvm unit, spare camera, 2 batteries and new case with all the extra fittings.
    The new camera is better, no loss of date on battery change, movement sensor and 64gb max, over 8hours video. (micro sd not supplied with camera)
    My modification was less brutal, using a small dremel you can open a hole big enough for only the lead and with a few rubber seals I am sure mine will be fine on the bike.
    If it is raining so bad to worry I still have the other undamaged case and camera anyway.
    I will add a photo of my mod if you want and I can now run recording off the bike power or to the solar/usb power device I carry.
    Ebay at the moment has them around £60 but mine was £39.82 including postage 8 weeks ago so maybe black Friday/new year may have more bargains.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Jasper likes this.
  8. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I've been a fan of Contour cameras for ages. They're tough little units, and just keep going. Waterproof too. I've recorded thousands of videos with my original Roam, and have a second one as a 'suicide' cam, which I bought for about £45. With a waterproof housing, I've taken some pretty spectacular diving video too.
    I also have the Contour +2, which is way more expensive, but features Bluetooth and GPS so you can overlay maps and speed gauges over your video, which is quite cool.

When my wife was knocked off her bike, her Roam 2 was destroyed when her helmet hit the deck (she was fine, thank heavens). We got her a Drift Stealth 2 as a replacement. I was initially very jealous of the new camera, as it was tiny, and seemed to be as good, if not better than the Roam.
    But actually, my wife says she misses her Roam, as it was simpler, and I think the video quality was better too.

Here's a quick video with the gauges overlayed. The GPS speed can be a bit unreliable...

9. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Willy, I use the Sena Prism as my primary motovlogging (video + audio) camera and you can see my vlogs on YouTube for examples. The Sena Prism also (expectedly) integrates really well with my Sena 20S headset and the both integrate well with my Navigator VI.

Saying that you don't want to spend silly money on this is the first variable that needs to be addressed, since there are many action cameras out there with all types of capabilities and understandably with many different price points. And I don't know what money level is silly for you. That said, as one of the more expensive lines on the market, GoPro might not be the best for your use although it name has become synonymous with "action camera".

I will answer your specific questions, in the interest of time and brevity.

The Sena helmet mount was fine for a couple of years of occasional (as in 'not every day') until the little tab at the bottom broke off for no reason. Now I need a rubber band to hold the camera to the bracket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sena is willing to replace the bracket (which you cannot buy separately) for free outside of warranty after I fill out the paperwork to get an RMA number. Other than that the bracket is light and low profile and worked well.

The camera itself is water resistant, and with the case is waterproof. The case can only be mounted from the tripod screw at the bottom, which means a top of helmet location. If that is what you want then that is fine, but if you want a side mount then all the bits needed would make the arrangement unwieldy not to mention an excellent wind noise / resistance generator.

When recording audio, you cannot listen to music since the music / radio have lower priority in the 20S. If you want you can listen to music and press the record button on the camera to have it running separately. So yes, technically it is not connected to the headset when doing this, but think about this for a minute - if not recording audio via the mic then it does not matter whether it is connected or not.

No jack for an external mic or integration with the headset mic is a deal breaker for me, as video without commentary is boring and I lose interest in about 10 seconds. You could always do voice over in post, but trust me, that gets old pretty quickly and is not spontaneous (no to mention is a lot more work). The Session is nice and small and is a great camera but is not meant to be a primary motovlogging camera.

You might want to consider a Sena 10C integrated headset + camera which is purpose built for motovloggers. It records in HD only (1080p / 30 fps) but has many excellent features including integrated FM radio and automatic noise reduction.

[​IMG]

I am in the market right now for a new camera, but the ability to record intercom conversation is my sticking point. The Prism (and the 10C) does this seamlessly but it is a challenge to get this done other than outside of the Sena system.

10. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I have the Sena 10C and like it. It's about the same size as the BT only Sena 20. Video quality is pretty decent. I use mine all the time as a dash cam.

Battery life is only about 2 hours, but you can attach a USB cable to the bottom and charge via a cell phone battery pack.

Chris

11. Brian63

Brian63 Active Member

Hi
    I use one of the old style Garmin virb battey lasts around 3 hours so carry a spare i have a remote control mounted on the clutch fluid res cost me £ 80 2 years ago so not so expensive. film quality is very good it can also be controlled by the later sat nav units. Below is a still taken from a film clip & one of the camera.
    Brian

Attached Files:

PaulB_UK likes this.
  12. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Check this out, good price on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-M...-1&keywords=nextbase+ride+motorcycle+bike+cam

13. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

Just one more thought regarding the Sena 10C. I really don't like the idea of having a BT headset hanging off one side of my helmet and a camera somewhere else on the helmet. This combines the two into one unit. Some of the Go Pro cameras look pretty big and IMHO, dorky, sitting on top of the helmet.

Chris

14. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. Silly money is in the region of £250+. The Sena I can get for about £170 for the lite version. The Roadhawk is about £112 on Amazon at the moment, so will check out some more reviews.

15. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Member

Is that new? I did plenty of digging online and saw no mention of the Nav V being able to control Garmin VIRB cameras. That is the main reason I've stuck with my Garmin Zumo sat nav.

Cheers

Paul B.

16. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

The Nav VI can control the Garmin curb not the nav v.

PaulB_UK likes this.
  17. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

When will we all have button hole cameras? They will be compatable with bikes, cars, mobility scooters and walking frames.
    Just imagine the "World's Wildest...." TV shows that will follow.

18. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I have a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Action Camera with Battery Pack, bought 2 years ago and hardly used. I had it on my Tracer but just did not take to the "video my ride" thing. I've been much the same with a camera in the past.
    It works, it paired to my HTC phone via wifi which could then be used as a remote control and live video screen.

It is certainly surplus to requirements. New cost was £150 in Argos. They seem to be on sale for up to £120 on Ebay but that is for a refurbished one. Sold prices on Ebay vary from £75 to £100 plus P&P and that does not include the battery pack.

Kit includes the camera, a range of waterproof cases (either for the camera alone or with the battery pack added), 1 sticky pad helmet/fairing mount, one universal jointed clampy thing, USB cable, battery pack and some stickers. See photo. Only thing missing is 1 sticky pad mount that went with my Tracer.
    https://www.cnet.com/products/gopro-hero3-plus-silver-edition/ has a review.

2017-11-23 19.34.52.jpg

How about £75 plus postage (probably £8 to £10 insured as cheaper couriers refuse cameras) or collect from Cheltenham or Gloucester.

19. Robert the Brews

Robert the Brews New Member

Probably very soon! V-SYS sells them. For a bargain price: 14-19 USD/piece including a remote control! They also give some suggestions how to use them! :rolleyes:
    http://www.szv-sys.com/DIY_Hidden_Camera/23.html

V-SYS also produces and sells some more serious motorcycle camera's which I am interested in! Dual camera systems as an alternative for the Innov K1 but cheaper to much cheaper (depending on the resolution of the video).
    http://www.szv-sys.com/Motorcycle_Camera/

20. Alda

Alda Active Member

Willy
    I have the C6 as shown on here http://www.szv-sys.com/Motorcycle_Camera/
    It seems to work ok and just loops round and round. No batteries or ugly brackets or mounts.
    It was only £55 so don't expect too much though it does have some reasonable features for the price.
    I have posted some installation pictures under another thread somewhere.
    More info if you need it.
    Alan