No customization options are available.

Across the USA on the R1200RS

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Reviews' started by wm.brooks, Oct 2, 2017.

1. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

Just returned from an 11000 kms/7000 mile trip from Ottawa, Canada, to San Diego, California and return. Left the day after Labour Day, via Chicago, Route 66, and returned through Utah, Colorado, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Michigan, crossing back into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie.
    Bike preparation:
    1. Helibar risers;
    2. Clearwater Darla accessory lights and Billie brake light;
    3. Wunderlich screen deflector;
    4. USB charger mounted under front fairing with wire into tank bag;
    5. connection for heated jacket liner (First Gear);
    6. modified GPS mount placing GPS above instruments (see my other posts re. that)

I found each of these modifications to have been worthwhile.
    I highly recommend the Clearwater accessory lights for conspicuity. The Wunderlich screen deflector allowed useful additional scope for wind/screen adjustment. The USB charger topping up a small power pack and i-phone in the tank bag addressed any charging requirements.
    Tires (Metzeler R-8s) which were not new at the start of the trip, were replaced in Phoenix, Arizona, with 14000 kms on them.
    Temperatures on the trip ranged from 109 degrees F (43 degrees Celsius) in Phoenix, to 38 degrees F (3 degrees Celsius) in Custer, South Dakota, well managed by a cooling vest and a heated jacket liner. Bike engine temperatures remained in range throughout.
    BMW panniers and top box, a Wolfman 33 litre dry bag and a small SW-Motech tank bag provided sufficient capacity for gear, including camping equipment.
    The bike ran brilliantly and proved to be not just capable of the trip, but a comfortable and competent ride very well suited to both the high speed interstate cruising necessary to make distance, and the two lane interesting road exploration that such trips are about. All in all, very pleased with the performance of the RS.
    Bill

megamucho, Jim Evans, Hein and 17 others like this.
  2. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Great to hear that wm.
    I am about to do something similar in Australia - I've shipped my bike across the country for a 5 day BMW Safari commencing in Perth, Western Australia and will ride it back to the east coast. All up it will probably be between 5 & 6000 km for myself & pillion.
    The bike is just about standard. I considered accessory lights but have put it off until next year. I also should have raised the Nav 5 mounting as it is virtually impossible to view it with a tank bag mounted. A new set of Michelin RP4s will be nicely squared off at the end of the ride. The route includes one of the longest straight stretches of road in the world (145 kms) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyre_Highway
    I'll post some photos in a few weeks.

3. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Well done Bill, and good luck Michael.:):)

4. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Awesome trip, Bill. How long were you on the road for altogether?

Michael, 145km, eh? I reckon you could do that in 45 minutes... ;)

Last likes this.
  5. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

Jim Evans, Scorch and Last like this.
  6. wm.brooks

wm.brooks Member

7. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Can't wait for the pics. Sounds like the ride of a lifetime...

8. Whely1970

Whely1970 New Member

I want to do something like this, too. I just need more time :D