No customization options are available.

ABS Pro retrofit!?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Vtbob, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I am curious, just how will you test it? Will you be leaned over at 40 or so degrees at speed, mash the brakes and wait to see if you feel the ABS vibe in the brake lever / engine computer back off power, or just do the low side crash from mashing the brakes to hard?

Be careful, avoid over correcting and end up doing the more painful high side crash!

You have a lot more guts than I do!

darrell and Grumpy Goat like this.
  2. Tiger_one

Tiger_one New Member

I first experienced the C-ABS by accident on my 1190 adventure. Yours may be slightly different, but with the Bosch system, it is very transparent. I was running some tight banked curves at about 50mph when I hit one turn I thought too fast and I carried the front braking deeper into the corner than normal. The fornt brake lever eased out some as I leaned more and more for the corner and I could feel the braking letting up. Pretty cool actually. It will not stand your bike up if you hit the brakes in mid corner while leaned over (like when a deer jumps across right in front of you).

ray2 likes this.
  3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Hmmmm ... so what I am hearing is that to know if this is truly installed one has to put oneself and bike in a dangerous situation ... :)

Might be another good reason to invest in GS-911 Wifi ....

4. Tiger_one

Tiger_one New Member

It is all relative, the corner speed felt too fast for me, but someone else might have not even touched the brake.

5. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

The only way I would know if cornering ABS was installed in my bike is by the dent in my bank account. Unfortunately, (after 54 years of riding) I could never bring myself to brake while leaned over in a turn. When you also ride a Royal Enfield, you learn that just crashing into stuff is better than trying to brake - since it won't do any good anyway. :rolleyes: Which is why that safety feature wouldn't be of any value to me. ;)

Bravo, ray2 and Vtbob like this.
  6. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

I'm not concerned about me braking on purpose whilst in a turn. My reflex is what bothers me. What do I do in a reflex when that deer jumps on the road?

Heck, I never bumped my car in to another car or house. Yet I always wear the seatbelt... and in my youth none of the cars had airbags. If you invest in car with airbags, you could say that was a bad investment when you end up in an elderly home, aged close to a 100 years and never having experienced the added value of airbags... I invested €295,- in a safety feature I hope never to use. In a course environmemt with proffesional instructors, it's a different story. I expect to feel smooth braking without losing control over the turn. Exactly why I wanted this stuff.

7. basetxe

basetxe New Member

295.-€ ????
    600.-€ in BMW Motor Gorbea (Vitoria) - Spain

8. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

...as an owner of a two week old 2017 spec SE I'd assumed all of this was standard....is this not the case?

9. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

For 2017 it is, at least on the SE

10. Jeroen1969

Special Action price, action was from November till December 31st, initially in Germany only, in December the action ran in the Netherlands as wel. I believe the price is now €450,- both in Germany and in the Netherlands (provided the bike has a bank angle sensor, as is the case with Ride Mode Pro bikes).

11. Jeroen1969

SE.... we don't have that here. There is the list of options we can chose from. But most bikes here are sold "with all the bells and whistles". I assume that would make them "SE like"? So far I have only seen 3 "basic" bikes at 3 different dealer locations.

12. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Thanks........I thought so......but the dealer didn't have lates brochures......

13. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

I've been on to Linds Bmw in Norwich to book my RS in for its 6000 mile service. I enquired about the retro fit and was told they're unable to update any bike built before August 2016.

14. TheGarratt

TheGarratt Active Member

The full package for that update code is for both ABS Pro, and the Flashing Brake Light.
    The Flashing Brake Light element can only be applied to those from August 2016 onwards, the ABS Pro can be applied further back (cost depends on bike if sensor is already fitted - which is was on the Sport SE)

15. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

I use both ABS Pro and the Dynamic Brake Light every ride and cannot imagine life without them :rolleyes:

oscarguitar, Bravo and Grumpy Goat like this.
  16. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

:D:D:D

17. Bravo

Ah I had an idea about the brake light but they're most insistent about the abs update.

18. Bravo

I can only look on in envy:p

19. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

"Bravo"..(see what I did there?)

20. Jeroen1969

Then they insist on telling you absolute Bullocks I'm afraid...

The proof is in the pudding. I own one of the very first produced R1200RS's, built may 2015, you can barely find any older bike than mine. Had it upgraded to ABS Pro last November, it was in BMW-Country though, I had it done in Bonn, Germany.

Suggest you download these files below, print them and present them to your dealer in an attempt to persuade them to take more action in finding out actually how to upgrade your RS to ABS Pro, rather than selling you bullocks assuming you have no means to prove them wrong.... (I assume they mix up ABS Pro possibilities of the GS with the RS...thinking RS's are more or less GS's but mounted on a different frame with different Tupperware...).

These are the two files:

1. The ABS Pro Upgrade report generated after the upgrade..
    2. The Bill for the Upgrade, it shows BMW codes, hopefully they can punch in those numbers in their part order system and discover, to their utter surprise, it is doable to upgrade a pre-August 2016 machine to ABS Pro. Though I'm fearing your bill will ultimately show a different number on the bottom...

Sorry for being blunt and such, my excuse is that I'm as Dutch as Wooden Shoes (and Lois van Gaal...), being blunt is part of our DNA....

Good luck in convincing your dealer that the upgrade is doable, you now have substantial evidence to back up that opinion!