No customization options are available.

ABS Pro retrofit!?

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Vtbob, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Just read in BMW Motorcycle Magazine that ABS Pro is being retro fitted on some models.
    On the GS and GSA since August, 15. Option on the XR now. Standard on K1600GT/GTL
    Starting in Oct will be offered to retro fit 2012 to 2014 S1000RR. 2015 and 2016 S1000RR will get the option in the future with a Race mode.

No word on the R/RS or RT dates.

This would imply that we do not have lean angle sensitive ABS now...which has been suggested in some writings.

Peter Burridge and Piperman like this.
  2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I was told this by the dealer I bought the RS from. I was told the "pro" specs was on the RS by the dealer I bypassed.

3. rclompus

rclompus Active Member

I was told by a BMW dealer last week that the R1200RS has a single axis lean ABS sensor. In order to upgrade to the ABS Pro, a dual axis lean sensor needs to be installed with software. Projected price for install and software will likely be around $1100. Not exactly inexpensive. I need to be convinced its worth it for street use.

4. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Reading through the Rider's manual that I downloaded online it only mentions the lean sensor in relation to the DTC and not the ASC or ABS. In fact for ABS in curves it stresses:

Be careful in curves. When

you apply the brakes in a curve, the motorcycle's weight and momentum take over and even ABS is unable to counteract their effects.

Riding aids are a great thing when the real world springs surprises on you but they don't, in my opinion, abdicate riding skills, observation and common sense :)

Ziggy0304361, Phillo, Randal and 3 others like this.
  5. terry lees

terry lees Active Member

Couldn't agree more

Randal and Charlie7 like this.
  6. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile the first R1200RS's Next Generation are being assembled, as we speak. Those with Ride Mode Pro come with ABS Pro and Dynamic brake light. Does anyone here know if and when pre-2017 RS owners get the option to do a retrofit upgrade?

7. The Patient

The Patient New Member

According to my BMW dealership the braking systems on the 2016/2017 models are completely different and the 2016 model and earlier cannot be upgraded.

8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Salesman or technician the source of this information? Makes a big difference sometimes. :)

9. PeterG

PeterG Active Member

I had a telephone call with BMW Germany in the minute regarding my earlier question about an upgrade to ABS Pro for my June 2015 R1200RS and I received the same answer: There will be an upgrade. For now it is timed for end of Oct but not definitely when it will be available.
    I trust the information directly from BMW Germany (their informations towards me in the past have always been correct) a lot more than any answers from dealers not knowing about what BMW develops.

folagana, rick and lupo like this.
  10. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Until then, I will have to bear up with my 2015 RS no longer being the "latest and greatest". I guess it is a bit like life in general, and it also applies to us riders.

11. lupo

lupo Active Member

If you ride the grey one, it will stay the "latest and greatest" ! ;):)

Charles and PeterG like this.
  12. PeterG

PeterG Active Member

At least the fastest :p:)

Charles likes this.
  13. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

OK, would be nice if the Dynamic Brake Light could be upgraded in the same job, I think I would be in the market. Cheaper probably than trading in my 2015 bike for a 2017 bike.

14. PeterG

PeterG Active Member

15. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

16. PeterG

PeterG Active Member

Just got response in a German forum from someone with a RS built 04/2016 who will get the upgrade according to his dealer after checking the VIN. Strange.

17. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Do they mean September 2015?

18. Brian63

Brian63 Active Member

Dynamic brake light?????
    I thought brake light comes on when you pull or press the appropriate lever & goes off when stop.Can someone explain please

19. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

The dynamic brake light flashes under heavy braking, warning the following traffic that you have bloody good Brembo stoppers, you are out braking them and they better wake up:)

Richard230 and PeterG like this.
  20. Brian63

Brian63 Active Member

Thanks for the info I'm not heavy on the breaks into bends etc tend to use the throttle & gears most of the time.
    Don't think I would bother with changing it but as mine is a early bike June 5 2015
    Brian

Kiwi likes this.