No customization options are available.

#A tie for the best bike ever owned...

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Reviews' started by Brian Kelley, May 11, 2017.

1. Brian Kelley

Brian Kelley New Member

So I have a 2016 in Lupin Blue and White. I purchased it in September '16 in central Massachusetts, trading in a 2005 Harley Softail Deluxe with 43k miles. The RS has about 1700 miles on it, maybe more. Lost track- you know that's a good sign.

The beemer is a resounding showstopper. The other bike that impressed me similarly so much with raw ability, rideability , fantastic looks and build was my 1999 Yamaha R1- bike of the year in 1998, at 150 crank-bhp & sub 400 lbs dry weight. That Yammie was amazingly comfortable for a full forward race bike.

But the RS, does it all. Similar thrills to the Yam (save, wheelie-ing in first 5 gears), but much more touring, long-riding comfort. Almost a standard-style setup in a way, but with the right dose of sporting, lean-into-your-wrists, "racer-in-action" control. Add in the heated grips, electronic suspension, traction control and ABS with Brembo, and wow! I love the pannier/saddle-bag mounts, and I bought the genuine bags from Germany motorad store, based on a thread here.

So a couple of small beefs, if only to make it interesting. I could easily have total amnesia about them when I'm done.
    • 1st to 2nd up and down shifts can be notchy. Sometimes almost feels like there's no clutch engaging behind the lever pull. I never use shift assist.
    • Adjustments of clock, instruments, date, etc., is fuuunnky-German. "yaaaaahhh, you schtupid Americans are lazy and inferior and can't solve your way crossing the street!..."
    • Battery removal for storage- funnnnky-German!
    • Watch keying your bags, if you decide to do that when buying the genuine BMW panniers. You can get a key stuck easily and have to disassemble the whole mechanism. Funnnnky-German!
    Wow. I'm really desperate to dredge something else up, as 3 of the bullets aren't even that compelling and possibly contain borderline, racial slurs.

-B

Stixx, ray2, Aussie Import and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

The clunky 1st is gone on the 2017 models - there's progress for ya !

Last likes this.
  3. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

But they still haven't done anything about the goofy instrument displays, with an analog speedo and a digital tach. :(

4. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Nav V fixes date and time adjustments!

5. saizou

saizou Member

I really wanted to love this bike but some of the questionable design thought-process that went into it makes me regret ever purchasing it.

Stixx likes this.
  6. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I can accept that your regret is honestly felt by you. The differences between people are legitimate and universal. I thought I would look at all of your posts to see what "questionable design thought-process" you were addressing. I picked up your preference for seats and I think handlebar risers. I also saw you contributed to the side stand angle (which I think depends on the individual bike, or it may be that the camber of the right hand drive roads makes it more critical). Finally I see the problem you have had with the clutch cover.
    In almost 50 years of riding and mechanical messing around, I have not broken a cover by over-torqueing. Don't blame the bike as having a short coming, if the problem is "operator error".
    Bikes are a bit like "women" (or a life partner in these days of PC) - if you get that nagging and unsettled feeling that fills you with regret, act sooner, rather than later. Follow your heart.

7. Braap!

Braap! Member

I too have the much faster Blue / White combo and really love this machine. I think I've used the up-shift part of the "Modes Pro" only a couple of times, but use the down shift "blip" when the conditions merit their usage. Like you, I find that if I'm day-dreaming along, not paying her as much attention as she clearly wants - I can blotch the 1st - 2nd gear shift - but it usually isn't what I'd call a problem. So far, I've put on a K&N filter, a Booster Plug, a MIVV complete exhaust with flapper-ectomy, and a handlebar conversion. These all contributed to what I consider IMHO - a total performance package - and it rocks! Just the pipe and Booster Plug made a huge difference, and she now has a nice snarl that keeps me short-shifting to keep her in the middle of that meaty-midrange that is so addicting. Plus, if I'm coming in hot with the down shift with some RPM, I get a few of those little pop-pop-pop's that make me feel racy, A MLC (Mid-Life Crisis) can be fun once in a while!

Bravo likes this.
  8. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

The R1200RS is unquestionably the best bike I've ever owned, even with its faults. The only other one that came close: not in terms of performance, but in being light years ahead of the competition, was my 1964 Honda CB77. 305 cc, 10,000 rpm, 0ver 100 mph, adjustable footrests, stainless mufflers, super reliable and oil tight ( neither common things in those days) and just lots of fun.

Aussie Import and Bravo like this.
  9. Martin Knowles

Martin Knowles New Member

I agree with some of the comments here, I have a 2016 Iconic (just love the colours and its obviously much faster than the Lupin version) and first gear from cold is wonderful and smooth, though once warmed up is a little clunky, but generally the gearbox is as good as my last 2015 Yamaha FJR, which I swapped for the R1200Rs as it is much lighter and more nimble.
    I have owned a lot of motorcycles, from Honda, Yamaha, Triumph and lots of BMW's. (R65, R80, R100Cs, R100Rs, K100Rs, K1100RS, K1200Rs) and perhaps because of advances in technology and production engineering standard, the latest R1200rs is by far the best I have owned.
    Performance in the real world is more than I need, it is comfortable for 200 miles without stopping, not bad fuel consumption (much better than the FJR).
    I have no issues with the instrument display as I tend to switch to large digital readout (3) around town when rev counter is not needed, or use the NAV5.
    Motorcycling is very individual and not cheap nowadays, we all have our preferences and one bike is not necessarily better than other styles, it is really down to what you like.
    Superb forum.

Last and Bravo like this.