No customization options are available.

49l Topcase from BMW spottet!

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by lupo, Oct 26, 2017.

1. lupo

lupo Active Member

Hi folks,
    I just spottet a new 49l topcase at the BMW homepage Germany.
    It is advertised for the S1000XR and R1200GS. But I guess it is also suitable for our RS,
    because of the same fix of panniers. I will check when it is available at my dealer maybe next year.
    DCA2297F-9D5E-4CA4-851F-82025524144D.png 37A36144-EB2C-4413-B06A-3BC6184C71A8.png

2. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Member

At 415 euros? Ouch. You could buy a Givi adapter plate (SRA5117) and a Maxia 56 litre box for less...

Cheers

Paul B.

3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Some expensive logo ...!! :D

It does look nicer than the current top box but I still dislike the ugly lego-style latch handle - cheap looking. I will stick to Givi, thanks.

PaulB_UK likes this.
  4. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Nice color...

5. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Yeah what's up with that red thing? Is it a regulation thing?

Considered spraying just that a few times already.

Never knew the GS used the same luggage socket, that would actually inspire me to get one knowing the box will work on the back.

6. lupo

lupo Active Member

Also available in red.
    339970E1-A40F-4B82-898B-926D94779508.jpeg

7. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Wow! That is a lot of red. :eek: I wonder which BMW comes in a color like that? o_O

8. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

P1040351.JPG
    The S1000XR comes in Racing Red.

9. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Well, that explains it. But if you ask me, no one (especially the Germans) do "racing red" like the Italians. :D

10. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I liked my top box on the RS so much I took it with me on the GS . If goes better with it IMO than it did with the RS (color wise.)

11. Dorschdn

Dorschdn New Member

If these adapter plates weren‘t so ugly... on the other hand the topcase for 415 € is ugly as hell, you have to spend another 202€ for the grey ro red cover.

12. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

GIVI's standard Plastic mounting brackets are indeed ugly but you are not limited to them as Altrider, SW Motech, and GIVI offer laser cut Aluminum racks which either have or offer adds to mount GIVI top boxes. I like the OEM BMW top box for size color and ability to hold a helmet , while remaining relatively small in their overall size. I got mine with a discount at the time of purchase on my RS for sound 400 USD and carried it over to the GS when I traded the RS recently . That top box fit the new rack on the GS with only a small change in the plastic part of the rack. Looks better to me on the GS than it did on the RS . As for GIVE , I've had them and like them and find them a good buy also you can get light kits for many of them which add to your rear visibility . cheers

13. sadrik

sadrik New Member

Almost tempting just to use the same tumbler as my side boxes and GPS mount, so I could just carry one key.

14. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

I think you will have to modify the insert on your luggage carrier. The one that came on my RS (the black plastic part) was different on the GS so I ordered the older 16 model GS insert and was able to attach my RS top box on the GS which has worked out well. I could not get the RS lock set out of the top box though so I have two keys for the GS now on for side cases and one for top box. I might be interested in the top box and I saved the GS insert which I had to remove to get the older model RS top box to fit so I think it will be all I need to do to add the top box to my GS. Not sure it is worth it though it looks like it would be very expensive here in the states . The parts breakdown adds up to almost 1000 usd all in. 20 more liters of capacity doesn't seem like much of a good investment. I'll just use my larger tank bag and break even.

15. scf69

scf69 New Member

I am interested in buying the 49l topcase for my r12rs, but from what I read here this does not fit with the original RS luggage carrier.
    Do you know which is the exact part of the carrier that I have to order to mount the 49l?

16. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Attached Files:

scf69 likes this.
  17. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Be sure to order the rack insert for the 17 GS W NOT THE 16 they are different ... this part replaces the insert in your existing rack . It should bolt right up but dry fit it at your dealer to be sure . Cheers

scf69 likes this.
  18. scf69

scf69 New Member