No customization options are available.

2018 R1200 RT v RS

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Richardofyorks, Jul 28, 2017.

1. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Richard, it’s refreshing to hear from someone who has tried a new RT and come to the conclusion that the RS is a better bike ( for them). Having come from an RT that only ever disappointed me, despite of its all round competence but lack of rider engagement, I’m with you all the way. As you say the RS is a bit more edgy and the riding position and front suspension make it feel so more planted and engaging, and yet still it has the capability to tour ( if not quite in the luxury of an RT).
    Welcome back !

2. TimMc

TimMc Active Member

In my limited experience, and I’ve had them dynoed to back it up, what you’ve written is the same I’ve had with this engine. The newer Euro 4 spec lacks a heap of midrange and the difference in rain, road and dynamic throttle response is now negligible. The Euro 3 spec engine is an animal in comparison. I wish I’d bought a run-out ‘16 instead of my then new ‘17.

3. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

The Euro 3 is quicker too, the euro 4 spec 0-100kmh is 3.3 seconds now, the euro 3 was supposed to be 2.8, especially when painted blue!

Jim Evans, boxerboy, Bravo and 2 others like this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Hahaha ... you got that inverted ... 2.8 seconds for the grey one, not the blue. :D

Still, sorry to hear that the Euro 4 slowed the bike down that much.

Vtbob likes this.
  5. Milo

Milo Member

Welcome back to an RS, I’ve had sellers remorse more than once.

Have you priced Dairyland Insurance? I realize rates will vary from state to state but full coverage on my 2016 RS is a little under $200 per year.

6. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

My Agent priced all of them as he is independent on bikes and can write any of them Formost was the cheapest overall but the problem was exacerbated by the new law in Georgia that allows these ins companies to rate higher in areas where accidents are frequent and a high incidence of uninsured motorist involved. So I had everything working against me and the rating was also a problem for that particular bike. My GS with the same company is 400 per year and 1520 for the RS . Total BS if you ask me , they are basically the same bike. One comes in tall size one in shorter but same . Really pissses me off.

7. TenCats

TenCats Member

Not sure about that. I've ridden both and although the Eur4 engine runs less rough as the Eur3 bike, it is still very fast. And, don't forget, the gearbox on a '17 machine is so much better as is the quick shifter. No more clicks, clacks or kloinks!

8. MRZ

MRZ Member

When I tested the RS and RT back to back I arrived at the same conclusion. It just felt too docile for my tastes.

boxerboy likes this.