No customization options are available.

2018 R1200 RT v RS

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Richardofyorks, Jul 28, 2017.

1. F800GT

F800GT New Member

Congrats OP on your new RT !
    When will you have the key in hand ?

2. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Congrats on the RT! I really like the color. My riding buddy had a 2015 and having ridden it through the Dragon, I know it will handle within 90-95% of the RS. And as said previously, much better weather protection, etc. I don't think you will be sorry for the change. If I didn't have my K1600GT, I probably would have gotten the RT over the RS.

Richardofyorks and MrVvrroomm like this.
  3. Richardofyorks

Richardofyorks New Member

It'll be end of Sept by the looks of it. Not sure I'll get a key as such, I went for the keyless ride option. Probably an emergency key hidden in the fob I would think.

4. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

If I were doing more long distance I think I'd want that one - although it would probably still be more fun on the RS!

5. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

RT vs RS....different strokes for different folks! Same great engine!!

I've had a couple of RTs over the years, including a then new 1982 R100RT. I've found the weight and size of the RS more closely approximate the early R100RT.
    In my subjective opinion, the fairing coverages are similar too.

The new R1200RT fairing is very similar is size and coverage as the K1600GT...too big for me...too much coverage...great in the rain....hot in the hot.

but that is just me.

Love the bike you have!

Grumpy Goat and James Bagley like this.
  6. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Well I can find no issue with your choice. It is still a BMW and a Boxer and I have to say that the new "sport' paint scheme is the cats pajamas on that bike and solves the two much plastic looking front end on the current look. That said, I am actually thinking of going to the GS for the egos but what people forget about the RT is the value. It comes with a power windscreen which means I was always able to find the sweet spot for no buffering while still able to raise it in bad weather. You also get panniers expensive ass panniers but they come with the bike. Thats about over a grand more to add to an RS or GS . The central locking is an awesome handy thing when traveling with the bike and the larger tank gives a great cruising distance between fillips.

The deal breaker for me wasn't money although it had a lot to with it , the real problem was I had an 08 RT I loved but it was top heavy and so annoying in low speed maneuver . However the ability to comfortably carry a pillion and top box and all that other stuff makes it the best touring package going. IF it was NOT 128 lbs heavier than my RS and about that much over a GS I would probable be riding one . Especially with the new color way. What a difference a little paint made.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  7. Mattblack000

Mattblack000 Member

Ow well, each to their own! Lol. I went the other way: airhead GS, wasser boxer GS, RT and now currently in love with my RS!
    I just find it annoying being drip fed technology which should be on base models as standard: TFT screen, full Bluetooth integration, full LED lights, etc.

Last likes this.
  8. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

I love the RT. I had one for a few months and gave it back during the recall. Although I like the looks of the RS better, the RT is more comfortable and gives up nothing. One day I think I'll be back on one myself. Enjoy!

9. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

What happened to the LT twin? THAT was impressive!!!

10. Stixx

Stixx Active Member

Dealer says the reason for the non recall on the RT's is they do not get the abuse the GS does so the fix is moot and not one incident has been reported . Consider they sell 10 GS to every 1 RT and you get your answer. Also having looked them over the front end on the RT suspension and forks reveals they are virtually identical other than travel.

11. Whely1970

Whely1970 New Member

i like the design, but it is so biiiiiiig!

12. Joebikerider

Joebikerider New Member

I rode both the RT and the RS yesterday and they both have their +'s and -'s. Rt is beautiful on the open road but a bit heavy in the twisty stuff. The RT was also very comfortable and had great wind protection. The RS was very nimble and pulled a nice wheelie. I was a bit undecided about the dash and windshield on the RS. However, for most of the riding I am thinking of doing around here the RS would better suit my needs. I would really like am RT for those long days.

boxerboy likes this.
  13. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

That's the key. Do we buy a bike for the 5% of the anticipated riding we'll do? Or for the 95% of the riding that we know we'll do?

I don't even have an RS, though it is on my short list and may be in my garage some day. Supposedly the F800GT is not really a sport-touring bike...yet it did fine on those long days when we were trying to miles behind us to get to our riding destination. If the F800GT can do that...a RS can do it better.

Chris

14. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Exactly - buy the bike that matches 95% of your riding needs and find the equipment that adapts it to make it acceptable for the other 5% of time - BMW's are great in this respect with so mant after market screens, bar risers , luggage etc.

darrell likes this.