No customization options are available.

2016 BMW R1200RS Gears - RPM - Speed

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Ben Russo, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

Well, sounds to me like you answered the question of whether it was the Akra. If you get the same results with both exhausts then it doesn't have anything to do with that. I haven't noticed a flat spot in the power band. How many miles do you have on the bike? Do you think it is possible that the symptom is new? Or is this just the first time you have tested it like this?

James Kennedy likes this.
  2. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

Thanks for getting back on this. Oh she's broken in. 26,000 miles. I can't say it's something new since I rarely go much past 6 to 6500 rpms. Not usually much of a need. I wouldn't call it a flat spot in the power band. She's just done over 7K. Like I said, due to the lag in the digital tach for all I know I could be hitting redline and not know it.

3. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

James, can you get over 7K in lower gears, or does it only top out in 4th?
    You might have a big leaf stuck in your air box, or a little plastic debris stuck in the air snorkel.
    I had a dead bird stuck in my radiator once, caused the bike to overheat.
    While you are in there, check your air filter.

If you want to see if the LCD readout is not working, you should be able to hear the rev limiter kick-in in 1st gear. Just floor it, and when it goes WA_WA_WA... that is the rev-limiter, the LCD should be reading about 9,500.
    You could also use the GPS to get your speed on the highway, and calculate engine RPM at that gear at that speed, and compare to the LCD readout.

-Ben.

James Kennedy likes this.
  4. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

Thanks again for the reply again Ben. Good tips. I'll check out the snorkel but I just had my 24K service so new air cleaner and all should be ok. Even at tight high speed passing staring at your tach isn't something we usually do. I think normally the highest I get is probably 6 to 7K. I'm an old guy and don't see the reason or need to redline. It's only been lately when comparing the stock vs the Akra that I've really been paying attention to the tach at that range and intentionally gone above 7K.