No customization options are available.

2016 BMW R1200RS Gears - RPM - Speed

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Ben Russo, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Geebee

Geebee Member

A late reply but indeed, that's Witold likely on one of the Autofus (happens to be my dealership too) demos driving the S2 and then heading towards Mokotow. I know those roads very well.

2. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

This seems like a test for lawless Africa...

Jurian Killian and Randal like this.
  3. RapidRoy

RapidRoy Member

Ben, you are a complete and total enginerd. I love this kind of stuff! I am picturing my wife's eyes rolling if she catches me reading this.

Last and Ben Russo like this.
  4. Pmc847

Pmc847 New Member

5. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

About gear, clutching or not.. The Shift Assist is a very nice feature, only odd thing I happen to have in about 30% of the times shifting downward from 3rd to 2nd, it skips the 2nd and goes in N... I'm still sorting out if this is due to my doings or a technical deficiency.

Which leads me to my question: does frequent (as in: more than 90% of the time) use of the Shift Assist have a negative influence on the wear and tear of the gearbox/gear parts??

6. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Have a read of this thread.

In general, the quickshifter performs best when used firmly and when the bike is being ridden "other than gently", i.e. smooth upshifts are accomplished with harder / faster acceleration, and accurate downshifts (especially 3-2) are when you are slowing from faster speeds and with a firm boot-press (as opposed to slowing sedately from 3-2 when the speeds are already too low for 3rd).

I am not sure of the answer to your second question regarding the wear and tear of the gearbox due to the frequent use of the GASP. My suspicion is that it should have no effect provided GASP is working properly and you experience no grinding of the gears.

7. Jeroen1969

I did 4 relatively short rides today and only on one occasion did the 3->N move manifest itself. Indeed under the conditions you mentioned, already low on speed and not decelerating firmly. All other occasions (quite a number), perfect shifts, all the way down to zero. I learned timing is an issue as well as acceleration/decelleration rate. When all is perfect, so is the result of the quick shift. I'm inclined to believe there is some sort of operating envelope in which the system works perfect, a margin area around it where it will work but less comfortable and an area around that envelope where it either will not work or not work proparly. In those occasions (e.g. relatively low acceleration due traffic) shifting upwards/downwards using the clutch solves the problem.

Glad to read I was not the only one who experienced this phenomenon! Thanks for the helpfull link!

Cheers,

Jeroen

8. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Active Member

When performing correctly it should have no detrimental effects on the gears at all & of course doesn't affect the main consumable which is the clutch until you actually start using it. Without a report from someone who's done 70,000 + miles it's difficult to know (that's what I got off a R1150GS before the clutch gave out but I used to do a lot of clutchless up-changes) but I'd expect greater life from all components as there should be less stress.

9. Grumpy Goat

Jeroen - you are welcome. Also, the frequency will also diminish with mileage. I hardly get any now.

10. jgrm1

jgrm1 New Member

My stock 2016 R1200RS topped out at 137 MPH on the GPS (speedo said ~144 MPH or ~5% optimistic) without bags and me fully tucked. Nice still 55F morning. She would not get anywhere close to redline in either 5th or 6th. I did not try 4th gear.

Interestingly, the R1200RS and my old R1100S top out at roughly the same speed. The 'S will pull to redline in top, so I figured the RS was less slippery.

-Jeff

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  11. Charles

Charles Active Member

There is other colors. :)

Bill the Cat likes this.
  12. Sobpe

Sobpe Active Member

Mine did 220 on the GPS and there was still more to come

13. Jeroen1969

I think paramaters like road inclination, wind direction and speed, position of the windscreen, panniers attatched or not, topbox attached or not, weight and length of rider as well as tyre pressure, profile and road conditions will greatly determine the max reachable speed..

UncleBob likes this.
  14. Loïc

Loïc New Member

Mine did 143 on the speed meter. With only 2175 miles since i bought it. What is strange, is that i get the same speed alone without luggage, sits two, or two plus luggage (nearly empty but the resistance to the air still available).
    My bike is stok and i am asking how the guy reaches 150 o_O on his video ? I remenber my dealer saying : - " the bike goes to 156 mph" ???

15. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

Of course you achieved these speeds on a private road under controlled conditions ;)

Leon.P. likes this.
  16. Jeroen1969

The guy on the video probably went down hill and had a brisk wind pushing his back..

Loïc likes this.
  17. Loïc

Loïc New Member

Yes, of course, on a racetrack ! Like every single member you have asked about that.
    Ok, good for him !

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  18. Grumpy Goat

And also was reading the speed from the speedometer, which is, how shall I put it ... "optimistic" ... ;)

buelligan likes this.
  19. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

Looks like you've done some research Ben so I have a question. After installing my Akra slip on it felt like I wasn't pulling like I was with the stock pipe. Ran good enough and I liked the sound so I didn't go any farther with mods. My son got a new bike and installed the full Akra and is looking into a ECU FLASH. Got me thinking about my issue so I re visited it. Put the stock slip on back on and did a test ride. Something I noticed was running out of power over 6500 (pretty hard to say what the rpm really is with the digital tach). My old 2009 RT had the feel of a turbo kicking in around that rpm. The RS PULLS STRONG from the low 3's up to around 7000. You never really get that peak power kick. After 6500 to maybe 7000 it just runs out of steam. Put the Akra back on and the performance was identical. Reckon the perceived difference was imagined. Did several runs with the stock and with the Akra to right at 8,000 and every time she really ran out of steam between 6500 and 7 (4th gear). Pretty hard to be precise at those speeds with looking at the tach and trying not to crash. So.....I'm curious what others have noticed with power output at these higher rpm's before I spend the money on headers and possibly an ECU FLASH.

20. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

Unless I'm under full acceleration and above , like around 4500, I slightly back the throttle off. Once you get the knack it gives a very smooth shift without any of the abruptness that comes with using the quick shift at too low of an rpm.