No customization options are available.

2016 BMW R1200RS Gears - RPM - Speed

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Ben Russo, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    lacemi, rick, ray2 and 8 others like this.
  2. Chet

Chet Active Member

Still breaking mine in but yes at 5k rpm I was doing 90 in 6th, now to redline it... hhhmmm scary

Carl Lee, Jim Evans and MRM like this.
  3. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

I doubt it will redline at top speed. It is probably drag limited, it only has 125 HP.
    My 06' R1200RT top end was indicated 129MPH on a flat highway in Nevada with no wind.
    But the GPS said it was only about 117.
    That was in 4th gear, and it just wouldn't go any faster.
    I tried 5th and 6th, but it couldn't even get to that speed in those gears.
    I think it was around 7 thousand RPM or so.

But, that was with a full set of luggage strapped all over the bike, and my big fat ass sitting on top of it. Maybe if I took everything off it and got down in a race crouch, and had the stock windshield in the retracted position (3" lower than the touring windshield I had on there) I could have redlined it at 8,500 RPM in 4th ?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Jim Evans and MRM like this.
  4. k2keller

k2keller New Member

I got my 2012 RT to 137 with no bags. We'll see what the RS tops out at.

Jim Evans and MRM like this.
  5. Robin holland

Robin holland Member

This is interesting
    My 2003 RT did 108 tops or 174km/hr
    RPM sits around 4000 for most driving.
    What RPM does the RS prefer if the max torque is towards 7850
    Cheers Robin

6. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

Well the torque curve is pretty flat. I think it is less than 10% difference between low end of torque and high end...
    So far, the bike seems happiest around 3,500 - 4,000 RPM.
    But the difference is really in the tone of the exhaust and what makes you feel comfortable.
    I think that if I had earplugs / music playing, I could cruise anywhere between 2,500 and 5,500 and not really notice.
    Of course, the acceleration really picks up above 4K, so if you are nut-hammering it, then you want to be up a gear or two.

Charles and Jim Evans like this.
  7. Robin holland

Robin holland Member

Mate that is what I wanted to know. Sounds like similar rpm range to my RT
    Nut hammering such an interesting term. I guess I would use blatt for that

Jim Evans likes this.
  8. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

I don't know the exact derivation of the term nut-hammering.
    I've always thought it must come from one of two places...

Option #1: Cowboy Rodeo Bullriders, before the bull is let out of the gate, they tie a tight strip of leather over his sack. and give it a good whack.
    When you see someone riding a motorcycle like bullrider, he is "nut-hammering" that bike.

Option #2: when accelerating hard on straightaways, you have to brake hard before the next turn. That puts pressure on your jewels.

Leon.P. and Jim Evans like this.
  9. Geebee

Geebee Member

139 MPH is what I did on it two weekends ago. That is on GPS, in one direction only (not averaged) and not under optimal circumstances (it felt like it could go a tad harder). To me that confirms more ore less the calculated speed at max power in the table above. By far, not even close to the 158 of my K16GT on the autobahn. But again, that one has 35 bhp more. But in the end, when and where can you do this safely these days? So it merely is a theoretical discussion. Also, is the RS not lower geared compared to the RT?

10puzzler and Robin holland like this.
  10. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

GeeBee, was the RS redlined at 139? Or was it powered out at top speed? What gear were you in, 5th, or 6th?

the kanaka likes this.
  11. Geebee

Geebee Member

Hi Ben. It was not redlined although I admit not having watched the revs on the LCD screen too much as it was getting dark. But the interrupter did not step in. Must have been around the 8000 rpm. It felt as it was powered out. And indeed this was in 6th. To your point, I didn't redline it in 5th either so in not ideal conditions but nevertheless a humble attempt.

12. PeterG

PeterG Active Member

Hi,
    while being new in this forum I have to step in on one point. Your data at the beginning is not correct (don't know about the influence this may have): Max. torque is 125 nm at 6.500 rpm not 7.750.[​IMG]

Regards Peter

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    lacemi, ray2 and Jim Evans like this.
  13. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

Thanks Peter, you are right, I accidently typed the HP peak RPM in two places.
    I don't think it makes any difference in the RPM*gear=Speed tables.
    But, I'll update it.

14. Brickhead

Brickhead Active Member

I can confirm that the top speed is drag limited, at least with a full set of luggage: 225 km/h (140 mph) on the GPS. This was going level on the Autobahn, with panniers, top box, 30 litre softbag on the rear seat, small tank bag (all BMW), the windscreen in its lowest position, and my chest resting on the tank bag. Without luggage it would probably do a little more - but not a whole lot more, since the power curve slopes the wrong way beyond 8000 rpm.

On a side note, even though I don't think the suspension is perfect, it did keep the bike pretty well poised at this speed with the D-ESA in Dynamic, even through (long) curves.

lacemi, Scorch and Geebee like this.
  15. Geebee

Geebee Member

So Bri
    So very much in line with my observation below on an RS with no luggage but it felt that it probably could go a tad quicker if only I had the time/distance/road. Mine has had its first service so I'll try it on a German Autobahn when I have the occasion. Agree with your power curve slope comment.

16. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

Good to know. In the USA, 140MPH could end you up in jail for a little while, or at the very least an arrest and loss of license for several months. But I have had a chance out in the middle of a desert in Arizona to test my R1200RT at 129MPH, I was taking my chances.

RJC_BMW likes this.
  17. Geebee

Geebee Member

Not only in the US. You need German Autobahn stretches where it's allowed. In Poland they claim your drivers license for 3 months when you exceed the speed limit with 50 km/hrs. Not to mention the fine and the driver's license points you'll loose. It's however not adjusted to the environment you drive in (city, open road, highway), which I believe might be the case in many other countries and which may make more sense.

18. KOCook

KOCook Active Member

Got 139mph (GPS) before I ran out of straight. Not sure if there would be a little more if I tucked under the paint, had a little more running room. Anyone with full Remus or Akrapovič system--or even just their can?

19. KOCook

KOCook Active Member

Haha, before he became famous for his Bonneville runs, Andy Sills went to various dealers asking for a shot at a record run on their racers. His claimed credentials? That he had more experience than anyone else, due to his mega miles at top speed on his long distance rides across desert highways. When he got his chance, he backed his claim. Godspeed, Andy.

FloppyCool and Piperman like this.
  20. Brian63

Brian63 Active Member

Hi did 143 on gps analog speedo showing 150 bike still pulling will have to try with touring display so to get a better idea will have to complain to the dealer that the speedo is not fit for purpose lol

Leon.P., Geebee, Scorch and 2 others like this.