No customization options are available.

2016 / 2017 model year changes

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Wambo, Nov 23, 2017.

1. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Now or later; the good news is that there are a great many options available to make your RS fit you just right. This has always been one of the greatest appeals of BMWs...an active and diverse aftermarket.

2. Wambo

Wambo New Member

Picked up the bike yesterday and traded it my old steed (Duc Multi). We very quickly made a bee line to Angeles Crest highway (one of the best roads, down this way)... and was completely blown away by this machine. I was more confident on her than I ever was on my Duc, and owned it for 7 years. Put a few hundred miles on, while trying to keep the revs low, but what a day!

Definitely have to check ergos, as my upper back is paying me back... for having so much fun. Interested in what some done with regard to ergo adjustments, I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam. Also was not thrilled with Garmin location, not sure if the mount the dealer used is standard. All in all a great day; and I hear her calling me now for another round... could be trouble :)

SoCal RS, Scorch and Leon.P. like this.
  3. Timbotc

Timbotc Member

Well....did you get the 16 or the 17?

4. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

I am 5’11” and have a 31” inseam. I put HeliBars on to bring the grips up and back about an inch or so. SW Motech rider pegs are much wider and can be mounted 12mm lower than stock. The Corbin seat is nice looking and has a great shape (but the stock saddle is pretty good). The MRA “T” windshield is about the same height as the stocker, but the cleaner shape eliminates some slight buffeting and works great in both positions (and makes the bike’s shape a little more organic). I recently had a pretty radical orthopedic procedure on my knee, so fit is pretty critical for me. This setup works well ergonomically without sacrificing control.

[​IMG]

5. boxter

boxter Active Member

The shock absorber is on the output shaft inside the gearbox, there is two new gear shafts and a complete new gear change selector system., Even then some 17 models suffer from poor change issues, my 2017 has a smooth selection and is brilliant.

Ged

6. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

BMW must have thought that it was worth designing and manufacturing new gearbox parts (and the starter motor) to solve some apparent issue with the gearbox and output shaft. I wonder what got them all stirred up? It surely couldn't have been customer complaints. Since when did BMW ever listen to its customers? :rolleyes:

7. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

Well, the mechanic in me is somewhat cynical because sometimes the reason a company changes something is because they found a less expensive way to build it. MAYBE they are addressing a problem but MAYBE the new components are simply less expensive for BMW to manufacture or purchase from a supplier. Or maybe their previous supplier of the parts is no longer producing them. Does BMW actually make starters and drive shafts? It would be quite unusual for such parts to be made by a vehicle manufacturer as opposed to being sourced from a supplier.

IF they are addressing a problem, it is not one I have experienced on my '16RS.

8. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new bike.
    I have a fix for your GPS mount. Look in the classifieds.

9. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

What I have read in the past regarding BMW leads me to believe that they source their gearbox components and electric starters (and likely a lot of other parts) from outside suppliers. So, like you say, they could have been addressing an actual perceived engineering problem or just trying to cut costs, although I can't imagine how inserting a shock absorber into that cramped engine case is going to make the engine any less expensive to manufacture. There must be something going on, but I doubt we will ever find out what that was without a factory engineering department "leaker" spilling the beans. ;)

10. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Member

Leon, I used the Helibar Risers plus I added 4 stacks of 10, 8mm stainless steel washers to add another 1/2" of rise and return. I finished it off with 4 m8-1.25 x40 stainless head cap screws to firmly secure each mount point. There is still free movement of the clutch side switch gear wire bundle and the clutch hydraulic line.
    Every little bit helps! Stick. image.jpeg

11. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

The GS had this drive shaft shock absorber first, by about a year or a year and a half, before it trickled down to the RS.

12. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

There is 1 more mod. you can do and that is raise your front forks through the yoke which will lower the bike a little more and may even make the bike turn in quicker. Give it a try.:)

13. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

Are the GS and RS driveshafts the same nominal length? IOW, would a GS shaft fit on an RS? If so, it would indicate to me that commonality of parts was a major reason to change the RS shaft. OTOH, I have been reading on other Motorad forums and there seems to be a substantial number of complaints re BMW driveshaft breakage (again, I have no personal long term experience with drive-shaft bikes). Admittedly, as we all know, people will instantly publish complaints about a product which results in an inaccurate view of product quality. It could also be that the GS had driveshaft longevity issues due to the GS's greater weight and, therefore, higher strain on the shaft under hard acceleration so a damper was incorporated. But, as noted, it's all speculation unless a designer at Motorad explains.... ;)

If I may...

StickR, I have to take issue with all those stacked washers on the steering head. It is a serious safety compromise on a portion of the bike that must be as rigid/solid as possible. You've basically eliminated about 1/3 of the original mating surface and replaced a "solid" mount with the flex involved in the longer bolt and the inherent "slipping"movement of the washers AND the reduced mating surface. The flex in that system over time could fracture a bolt. Additionally, the flex inherent in that setup will affect handling. Please, for your safety, find a riser and/or a new handlebar that will provide the height/reach you need.

Stick Rockwell likes this.
  14. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Member

Brimstone Mahone,

I do appreciate your comment and concern. I had taken the mating surfaces of the risers into consideration in my experiment. This extra half inch of washers is merely a method of determining just how much more room there is for proper cable movement. I would have to agree that there could be a potential for future failure and this would not be an advisable means to apply for safety reasons. Who knows, without additional experimentation, but a combination of multiple riser products may be suitable for rearward movement of the bar set should someone want greater reduced reach. For me, just the Helibars Riser provides the greatest upward and rearward movement and that's where I have left mine.

James Bagley likes this.