No customization options are available.

2016 / 2017 model year changes

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Wambo, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Wambo

Wambo New Member

I am about too purchase a new 2016 RSVP, the dealer also has a new 2017 model but for about $2K more. I was under the impression that there were no technical changes between the model years, but just saw a thread on some minor gearbox improvements, so thought I should check with the experts? Can someone confirm if there were changes to be aware of?

2. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

The box is significantly better. It will also have ABS pro. (Lean angle sensor) and a flashing brake light. On mine the suspension is also better but there were no changes made to that. You may also get a Euro 4 fuel map, but not sure if that applies in the US.
    I have had both, 11,500 miles on the 2016 and 6,500 so far on the 2017. After a recent software update the performance is similar, but the gearbox makes the 2017 a much more satisfying bike. If you can spring the $2K I would recommend the 2017.

Martien, ray2 and Leon.P. like this.
  3. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I agree with Oscar.:)

4. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

I have had both 2015 (2016 spec) and 2017. There is nothing wrong with the 2016 spec bike as many on here would testify. The 2017 does have some nice upgrades in the transmission and braking depts. Question is - what is the difference worth ? I think the residuals on a 2016 will be lower when you come to sell it, possibly by as much as $2000 as it is a late registered bike.
    The majority of people looking at the two bikes next to next would buy the newer spec - unless the price was a whole let better. If money is no object buy the later bike, if money is a factor I'd be twisting the dealer's arm for another $1000 off. That 2016 bike will be worth less next spring ..he knows that ! Good luck.

5. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

The gearbox on my 2016 is perfect so I guess I got lucky?

I am not sure where you are located in the US but there are 2 remaining 2016's at Alamo BMW in Texas - one each in color of that year. They are asking $16,500 which is more than I paid for mine a year ago so my guess is you can get them for under $16K with a little negotiating.

Brimstone Mahone likes this.
  6. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Active Member

Yeah, I consider my '16's gearbox to be excellent so there are at least two lucky people! :)

FWIW - Only thing I'd add is about Alamo BMW, where I bought my RS last year... I called them 3 times over a week to schedule a service and all three times was the told the service dept was "busy with another customer" and that they'd call me back. They have yet to do so. The sales guy who helped me there was great and I was very pleased with my purchasing experience...not so much with service. OTOH, I've always done all my own mechanic work so I'm not uncomfortable with doing that on the RS as far as mechanical issues but all the electronics on the bike is a different issue. I do it all the work on my '14 9T, which has never been to a dealer but it doesn't have the same level of electronic aids.

7. Wambo

Wambo New Member

I am in SoCal, will probably go got the 2017 if the dealer doesn't crucify me first.....

8. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I don't think the 2017 bikes that came to the U.S. have ABS pro unless you pay $$$ extra for it as an after-sales computer download. And I know it will not have a flashing brake light, as those have not been approved by the U.S. DOT. However, it will be Euro 4 compliant, which might have taken the edge off of the engine's performance, compared with the 2016 models. The gearbox will likely function smoother. If you can find a 2017 model (check the headstock for the build date), I would get that one unless you really get a big discount on a 2016 model. Also don't forget that having a year newer model will always increase the trade-in value by a significant amount. I might add that, while I saw several 2017 R12R bikes in my dealer's showroom this year, I never did see a 2017 RS. If you can find one consider yourself lucky. It might be collectable one day. ;)

9. Timbotc

Timbotc Member

I have the 2016 and am not experiencing any problems with transmission! No harsh shifting...I have pro on mine standard! The flashing brake light is not a US option! I saved $3000 by just using my credit union for 1.9 finance rate. Because I didn’t use Bmw finance they gave me a discount! Check if this is still the case! Good luck!

10. SoCal RS

SoCal RS Active Member Contributor

The gearbox on my 2016 is very smooth.

11. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

What's a RSVP?

12. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

My 2016 gives an occasional clunk going into first from neutral...apart from that, it has been flawless.

13. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Member

I would say to Leon and Richard that whilst my intimate knowledge of all that's BMW pales to yours, I'm not certain the differences in gear box, suspension, et al is worth thousand$ of dollars to my level of ride ability. Hell, I'm 64 and I just want to ride and enjoy myself. If it's a '16 it's possible the dealer has gone to cash from his floor plan and that's the reason he's set the price @ $16,500. I paid the same for my '16 on Aug 31 this year and got freebies and other discounts on panniers as well. Wambo, look at the bill of sale/sales card attached to the bike. It will tell you when the dealer took delivery. If they've had it for a year and your prepared to buy on the spot, offer $500 less or throw in some other accessory you might like to have. They will jump at a buyer who want's to do business on this bike now. The worst they can say is no and at that price, if it's a Premium model and you intend to keep it for several years, you've just gotten a deal!

Happy Thanksgiving to all (stateside that is, it' not like others don't have their holidays), Stick.

Leon.P. likes this.
  14. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

The gearbox on my '16 is fine, the improvement in the '17 is outside the gearbox, they installed a "shock absorber" in the drive shaft, a good thing for sure.

15. Wambo

Wambo New Member

Truly appreciate everyone's responses, ended up going with the 2017, and will pick her up tomorrow. Planning a long ride so we can get too know each other better and will report back!

SoCal RS, Martien, Richard230 and 2 others like this.
  16. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

At least your "winter" is mild. Many aren't so lucky!

17. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Good decision. You will love the bike and never have to wonder if you should have got the ‘17’.
    Enjoy your ride.
    Top tip, don’t be tempted to change the ergos for a few thousand miles, it won’t be just like your last bike, but it is a comfortable perch for 95% of owners once you acclimatise.
    Took me a couple of thousand miles to ‘really like’ the bike. But in the end, when the first one ,2016 model, was killed by a van, I got another one ,2017 red frame, as soon as I was riding again.

Jim Evans likes this.
  18. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Active Member

I DO agree that if you are talking about replacing items - seats, handlebars, adding handlebar risers, aftermarket levers - anything that you would have to purchase to make a change - I would do as Oscarguitar recommend and wait a while.

BUT (and isn't there always a "but?" :) )... When you say "ergos," in my mind, the ergos include the position/alignment of things like the hand levers, gear/brake pedal, handlebar angle, etc. I would (and have) immediately adjusted those items for me within hours of getting a new (either actually new or new-to-me) bike home. Such adjustments make a major difference in how comfortable a bike is to ride over a long period and the optimum settings for one person are unlikely to be optimum for another person. Remember, also, that the "adjustments" of these items on a new bike are simply what resulted when the dealer's assembly guy/gal set the bike up out of the crate. It varies based on the individual doing the work. IOW, a new RS from one dealer will not "feel" the same as a new one from another dealer. For that matter, two RS's from the same dealer may not have the controls/handlebar, etc adjusted to the same position. So I recommend you adjust those things to fit you as soon as is convenient.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    oscarguitar and Stick Rockwell like this.
  19. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Member

Congratulations, Wambo. The more important thing is you have decided on an excellent motorcycle model. Get it fit as you wish. Some of us are not designed to fit what we buy so we adjust. I'm 5'4" with a 27" inseam and immediately needed bar backs and a low seat to really gel with my investment. That's just me, as your desired riding position will be your choice to fine tune. I think I'll get out today, in your honor, and tool around down the Shenandoah Valley for a few hours today. That is after I help Marie get the Xmas decorations out of the garage attic.....

20. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Hi Stick. I am with you. At 5'51/2" and 28" inseam our modifications are similar and necessary.What a great result on a great bike.:)

Stick Rockwell likes this.