No customization options are available.

1st Ride with Pillion

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by BobW, Jul 11, 2015.

1. BobW

BobW Active Member

Took afternoon ride to Romsey with my wife on pillion for the 1st time. Good news is she loved it and thought it was more comfy than our old R1200R which actually had a comfort seat fitted .
    I put all the luggage on so that we could store helmets/jackets etc , and then walk around in the sunshine. There was free Music Festival on and it was a great all round trip. Mrs BobW is very happy ...:) so am I :). I think I am going to be nearer 1,000 miles when I have my 1st Service ! IMG_6101.JPG

2. Psy69

Psy69 Active Member

Looking good :D

3. Rebel13

Rebel13 Active Member

I'd be lucky if my partner agreed to a ride around the block.:(

stageraider and Kevin Neustadt like this.
  4. lars Ormvold

lars Ormvold Active Member

Can't agree more, my wife loves the new RS even more than the old ST. Just excellent to be able to share the passion for riding trips, someties just for fun, to have a lunch or dinner somewhere, or a proper motorcycle holiday. We will probably ride a 3-3.500 km holiday trip to the northern parts of Norway this summer. Excuse the flag today as I am on a business trip in HongKong, usually it should have been a Norwegian flag there . . . . .

5. MRM

MRM Active Member

My wife is very pleased with the RS and is just as eager to go for a ride as I am. She's always enjoyed riding as a passenger, so her approval of the new bike was critical. She finds the bike to be super comfy with plenty of leg room, plush seat and topcase w/backrest. Now if she would just get her carcass out of bed we could start off on another ride right now!!! :D:p:D

6. Wraggy

Wraggy New Member

Thanks for the post. In fact this is a critical buying decision for me! I have a Honda NC700X at the moment and I'm looking at the RS as the next machine. We like going for rides around Barcelona at the weekends, so passenger comfort is key. Although, the Honda is awful, so anything would be progress. One question...my wife is not so keen when the top of her helmet is above mine. Obviously this depends on rider and passenger height etc, but how is this with the position of the rifer and pillion seats?

7. BobW

BobW Active Member

Just spoke to Mrs BobW and her helmet was about at the same level . She is shorter than me !! I think you would best take a demo . As you will see from pictures pillion seat height is slightly higher.

Wraggy likes this.
  8. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Seat is stepped - my wife is above me and she is just 2cms taller than me. But ergonomics of bike mean that passenger does not get major wind blast despite this. Seat very comfortable and secure with good pegs and grab handles.

Wraggy likes this.
  9. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Mrs Bazza Beemer can't get enough of the bike. The only thing is she can't handle the cold and that is how it is starting to be in Calgary. Only couple good weeks left. We are looking for a sissy bar arrangement that will clip on and off easy. Or a pillion seat that prevents her sliding forward or backward.

10. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

Screen in the up position also better for wind blast with a pillion.

11. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Heated waistcoat ?

12. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Beautiful bike. Love the top box match. Wife has indicated she may consider being a pillion if there is a backstop and yours looks great.

13. lars Ormvold

lars Ormvold Active Member

Grumpy, you could try having original top box with optional backrest as well. Works perfect for my wife.

upload_2015-10-3_10-47-47.png

14. Randal

Randal Active Member

Wish my wife would ride with me. She is scared for life I suppose after I had a horrific accident 9 years ago. I was alone on the bike and she suffered emotionally.

15. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I truly understand. There is no easy answer for her pain as it arises from her love for you.
    At least my 1st wife was not so burdened, but she would not get on the bike anyhow.

16. TassieRob

TassieRob Active Member

Pillion in a million loves to ride we quite often do 200 to 300 km trips each weeekend :)

17. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Out of interest, does a helmet fit in the panniers?

This being my first bike with luggage options and the first in a while that might convince the wife to get back on (a certain Buell 1125CR was nickname "The Devil" and she never got on since. )

But as I learn about these luggage things I realise it might be nice to have both helmets and gear left on the bike. If the pannier accommodates that it's fine, if it doesn't' I might need to cancel the Topbox and get one as per picture.

18. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

You both would need very trim backsides to fit on the Buell.
    I really like the Buell and the EBR, but they are not 2 up sports touring bikes and they pitch like hell on throttle. You have to be very precise to maintain balance. It is just about the opposite from a BMW, particularly with the telelever.

19. TassieRob

TassieRob Active Member

Hi SauRoN i tried my fullface shoei and it fits in the left hand side pannier and the topbox. Not sure about the right side.

20. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Lars - My apologies but it appears that I never did respond to your suggestion. I must have missed it.

Since that post and since fitting the excellent and more price conscious Givi V47 top box, I have not only an excellent backstop for a pillion but also for my 60L dry bag.

My wife has since come on the bike maybe 3 times, mainly to shut me up I guess. She still is not in pove with the idea of being on the bike, and has also since refused to go on Sunday rides for which I gently invited her. :)

Attached Files: