No customization options are available.

$160 Powder coated stock exhaust

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by MRM, Apr 14, 2017.

1. MRM

MRM Active Member

These are just the teaser pics sent to me by my powder-coater. I'll add more tomorrow after I pick up the pipe (it was just finished when he sent the pictures).

EDIT: Well, 1 pic as I couldn't get my video to load:oops:

Attached Files:

ray2 and Lee like this.
  2. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Looks good..I've got the Remus Blackhawk fitted mainly for appearance but planning to spray the stock exhaust with matt black heat resistant paint ...

3. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

I actually prefer the stainless steel finish on the exhaust to the chrome of the SE.

lacemi and Peter Burridge like this.
  4. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Agreed the chrome is far to " blingy " for me...

5. Charles

Charles Active Member

What was the cost of having it done? I have thought of doing mine matt black.

6. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Interesting. What is the colour of your bike? I look forward to seeing this on the bike, especially if the bike is Granite Grey. I kind of like the chrome pipe on my Grey but the matte silver finish would also be complimentary to the colour scheme. Matte black might be too monotonous for my taste.

7. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I also like the looks of the stainless finish but I wonder if the chrome finish is easier to clean after riding in the rain.

8. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Looks good.
    Was your exhaust stainless or chrome finish?

9. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Is the "chrome" finish polished stainless or is it chromed mild steel?

10. MRM

MRM Active Member

My photo's are downloading as we speak, so I'll answer some of your questions:

My bike is Granite and my pipe was chrome. With the color scheme of this bike I thought the chrome jumped out too much, and that the shield covering up the connection to the header was too matte (the finish was tough to clean and gunk stuck to it like glue).

I think the brushed pipe offered on some of the base R and RS bikes is perfect, and wish it would have come with all of our bikes. This was my number one choice and I started searching high and low for a take-off at a decent price. Problem is, the only folks selling takes-off's all had chrome pipes (in the US at least), so this did nothing to help. I then thought of creating a "brushed" finish on my chrome pipe with scotchbrite, but I live in a condo and don't have work space (what was I thinking?) and I didn't want to buy an extra chrome pipe for $3, 4, 500 just to practice on with the chance of failing.

I then figured I would start looking at after market pipes, but with a severe case of tinnitus I really didn't want my bike to be any louder. I like the sound out of the stock pipe and even like the looks of it...other than the chrome:confused: So, spending in excess of $700 bucks for a better looking pipe that was too loud was out of the question.

I had pretty much given into just liking the chrome until a friend of mine mentioned that he had a car exhaust powder coated (not sure why, you can't see it) which led me to my powder coater. From there we picked the color, cost and that was that.

The color is called alien grey (I'll add the manufacturer later). It has a clear coat over it to give it a little shine and to make cleaning super easy. I've had bead blasted stainless in other applications and it's a pain to keep clean. Much he same as the exhaust pipe connection shield is a PITA to keep clean.

Cost was $160 total for bead blasting off the chrome (they said it was thick and tough), the power coat, the clear coat and tax. The color is very similar to the rear-sets, passenger pegs, etc; just with a little more gloss (may not show up well in the photo's). Definitely the least expensive option for the second best looking option I could think of (still think the brushed finish is the best!).

So, lets see if these pictures have downloaded yet :D

11. MRM

MRM Active Member

Full images here:D

Attached Files:

• 1RS.JPG
      1RS.JPG
      File size:
      2.4 MB
      Views:
    • 2RS.JPG
      2RS.JPG
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    • 3RS.JPG
      3RS.JPG
      File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
    • 4RS.JPG
      4RS.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • 5RS.JPG
      5RS.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    Peter Burridge, Jetpilot5 and Lee like this.
  12. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

I like it. For me, I'd go darker color but the silver mat is nice too.

13. MRM

MRM Active Member

Darker was a consideration, for at first I thought I would go with the same grey as the frame and wheels. This would have still left the rider/passenger rear-sets and silver, which would have been fine but may have led me to go on a wild powder coating frenzy with them as well :D

I ended up going with this silver as I wanted the bike to still have a look that would appear stock to the casual observer. Most likely the only people to notice will be other RS owners, of which I have seen none in real life LOL

Powder-coating is a great, affordable option and I think a dark color will look just as good with a light color. It will be nice to see some other variations pop up, for as cheap as it was to have done I would be up for doing it again if I saw a better color option:D

14. MRM

MRM Active Member

15. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Nice job. I agree with you on the chrome and have managed to find a stainless exhaust at a reasonable price so will be fitting that .

MRM likes this.
  16. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Seems like chromed stainless ...magnet doesn't stick to it as I've just found out....

17. lj516

lj516 Active Member

Looks much better than stock, although I would have matched it to one of the other grays on the bike (frame or fairing)

MRM likes this.
  18. MRM

MRM Active Member

It was a consideration (see above) and who knows I may still do it. Right now I'm very pleased with the look, as my dreaded chrome is gone!

I road for about 150 miles yesterday, some of it very spirited and the power-coat held up just fine. No weird discoloration, warping or melting of any kind. Seems like it's on there pretty good:D

19. MRM

MRM Active Member

Score! I looked on and off for one since I bought the bike (June 2015) w/o luck. I still think the brushed is the best option and will probably keep an eye out for one still.

20. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Ok for those who are interested the OEM pipe weighs 4.3kg/9.46lbs and the Remus Blachawk 3.6kg/7.92lbs so only 0.70kg/1.54lbs weight saving. OEM pipe sprayed with 20170422_101401.jpg 20170422_094428.jpg high heat Rust-Oleum and fitted..think maybe I should spray the heat shield black as well..

Blue Ears likes this.