No customization options are available.

1200RS vs Bicycle

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Dan smith, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

I have been back into street bikes for 3 years and on my third , the RS , loving it ,but many of the places I ride I see more and more bicycles even then motorcycles ,I just say I glad they are enjoying,riding the bicycles. And enjoy my RS and a few weeks back I said maybe I should ride my bicycle more and get off that dam seat lazy ! and ride a bicycle . So i got on my 6 year old mt bike it's quite nice really , but all the road bikes just smoke by me when I ride down the road? So I thought maybe something new ? Ended up with a 17 giant comax 2 carbon fiber highbrid, like a road bike but up right straight bars like a mt bike. Now I like riding my bicycle as much as my Rs ,getting good exercise, doing road rides ,and my new bike is light and handles great. And I guess I needed a new bicycle to get into it again. ( when you see some poor soul pumping on that bicycle up that steep hill as you roll on the dinosaur juice, don't you just feel a bit lazy sometimes ? ) :eek:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

3. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

:) Cheers

4. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Me neither :)

Dan smith and Leon.P. like this.
  5. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

No

Dan smith and Leon.P. like this.
  6. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

No. LOL:):)

7. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

would like the self discipline that says use the bicycle not the motorbike but the R1200RS wins every time, now my excuse is that I have bad hips and a dodgy elbow but in all honesty it is laziness. so good for you but you are on the motorbike forum so I am guessing you knew the response before you set out the question

Dan smith likes this.
  8. boxter

boxter Active Member

Nope, but I'll wave as I go past.

Looking forward to my first heart attack, no point in bringing it on sooner!!

Ged

shorn sheep, Leon.P. and To and Fro like this.
  9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I ride the bicycle more often than the RS.
    I have 3 and Debbie has 2. Mostly we ride on trails because of all the cell phone using drivers on the road.
    RAGBRAI Monday (2).JPG

8-7-2016 (1).jpg

In September we plan to go to Mackinac Island Michigan with the bicycles.
    P1000250.JPG

P1000304.JPG

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Jim Evans, ray2, Dan smith and 3 others like this.
  10. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

I commute to work by bicycle whenever I can (usually around 50% of the time). 16 mile round trip that takes 33 minutes each way (well, a little longer on the way back as its slightly uphill). Can be anything between 15 - 45 mins in the car and 15 - 20 on the RS.

Caught the bug when living/working in Holland and try to do most of my short journeys by pedal power. Also done UK coast to coast and London to Brighton charity ride twice each.

Currently using a Cube trekking bike (good German spec with discs, hub Dynamo, led lights, mudguards and rack - ideal comfy commuter!) but get to borrow my eldest sons carbon framed Giant Defy every now and again.

Although main objective is to offset the beer intake I can honestly say that my aerobic fitness is around 15 years younger than my age........

Dan smith likes this.
  11. MRM

MRM Active Member

I'm an avid cyclist and do find myself choosing between the RS and cycling quite often. I consider motorcycling just one more type of riding on my already long list of riding styles (road cycling, MTB, cyclocross, bicycle commuting, casual townie rides and gravel grinders (I have a lot of bikes!). Can't wait for retirement as then it will be easier to fit them all in as right now work is the biggest distractor from my 2 wheeled passion :D

GordonH likes this.
  12. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

I am a "no" also. I get my exercise in other ways - like running. But I admire the cyclist. My favorite local road is a twisty mountain canyon road, 12 miles long and 4,000 feet elevation gain, lots of cyclist make it to the top, gotta admire that.

13. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Bicycles! I like riding a bicycle and have a tandem which is good fun, but what I hate are the Sunday riding Lycra wa@#&rs who ride in groups of 20+ 3 abreast down really nice country roads. Now we are coming up to the Tour de France so now there will be even more on the road:confused:.......bigger!​

Leon.P. and shorn sheep like this.
  14. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

You'll find a lot of guys on the forum who'll do anything on two wheels. On the one hand, the non-motorized work is great for for fitness. On the other hand, most of us have suffered far worse injuries on our bicycles than on our motorcycles. Recent case in point - Nicky Hayden.

Stay fit. Stay safe.

TimMc likes this.
  15. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

That's scary :( I'm staying in today , I'm staying safe , Pizza and p__n :)

Leon.P. likes this.
  16. ray2

Not exactly the sentiment we come to expect from a bugs-in-my-teeth, "cars-r-coffins" kind of guy.

OK - so let me modify my sentiment and remove stay safe.

Replace that with - "Stay fit. Have fun."

Didn't someone quote Guy Martin on this site on an age-old sentiment? "We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time."

This photo from Spray Lake on the 2800 mile Great Divide Trail near Banff. (Yes you can take lightweight off-road motorcycles on most of it. ) (The record by bicycle during the self-contained Tour Divide is currently held by a Brit at just under 14 days.) (And yes, the armor on the left elbow represents a promise to my orthopedist, who after 17 h of surgical time, has little interest in further reconstruction. It's come in handy a few times since.)

upload_2017-6-30_18-1-18.png

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Bub, runnerhiker, darrell and 2 others like this.
  17. ray2

The real benefit of riding a bicycle hard and long is amount of food and drink one can put down without compromising top end speed on any two-wheeled vehicle. This is a picture of one of the guys with whom I've shared the trail. Not a lot of drag at speed.

upload_2017-6-30_18-36-3.png

runnerhiker, darrell and Lee like this.
  18. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Wow ! I'm Hungry :D I guess he can burn it , not a lot of body fat on dem bones ! Wouldn't want him as part of the donner party . I'd starve
    Or was it dinner party ?
    Bet he would smoke me on the road :(
    Sadly didn't hang at the crib . And do any P & P , Felt good going out on my bicycle. Decided not to be a wimp and did 40 miles And I'm 3 lbs lighter then last night , Must be water loss from the ride ? :eek:

19. Dan smith

Dan smith Active Member

Nice pic ray thanks for sharing :D

Attached Files:

20. TimMc

TimMc Member

Currently have three bicycles and the RS. Alternate between them for commuting and just going out for a blast. Been riding bicycles non stop for 42 years and motorbikes non stop for 34. Currently have a ~25 year old 14spd 105 equipped Malvern Star road bike, two year old 22spd Ultegra equipped Merida Carbon 7000E road bike, and an eight year old 27spd Avanti "Aggressor" hardtail mountain bike, which I tend to fall off a bit.
    I have a car, but I don't use that much...

ray2 and Lee like this.