No customization options are available.

12,000 mile service

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Richard230, Aug 5, 2017.

1. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Member

Like this?

Attached Files:

2. To and Fro

To and Fro Active Member

Hey that's a sharp looking bike.....well some of it is. Keep wrenching

duccrazydave likes this.
  3. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

I had a '96 900SS/SP for 12 years and almost 90,000 miles. I just LOVED that bike until it pissed me off one too many times. Look closely at the welds on the frame near the top of the steering head for cracks.

Frank

duccrazydave likes this.
  4. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

I bought mine used from a friend at work. When I registered it, I got full use of the GS-911. In other words, it reset the VIN number count so it is like brand new.

Chris

5. Zoomie

Zoomie Member

Me, too!

6. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the print out from your service.

I have now located the filters, plugs and crush washers online very easily.

Filters from a UK main dealer who is using fleabay with Click + Collect at a local store.
    Plugs from a "plug dealer", also using Click + Collect at a local store.
    Crush washers for pennies from a "washer dealer" with free P+P .

I'm happy to save hundreds of my very own £££££ as the bike is out of warranty and I won't have to endure a 60+ mile round trip to drink expensive main dealer coffee while waiting for their boy to fit expensive parts and Very expensive oil.

My Haynes manual tells me this is a One Spanner Job, so I reckon I'll manage it as I am qualified to at least 3 Spanners using the Haynes manual coding :)

To and Fro, GordonH and Richard230 like this.
  7. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

Pure thievery. Sorry, I'm just not paying it. I can change my own oil, my own plugs, my own air filter and these are very easy valves to check. I document every single thing I do and keep all receipts.

MrVvrroomm, Boxerboy55 and Daboo like this.
  8. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

It's a federal law that if you do your own work or have it done by an independent mechanic, you can't be denied a warranty claim if you can prove the service was done.

Chris

RNINETRAT and To and Fro like this.
  9. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

That is correct. It's the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, passed in 1975 and is easily enforceable by filing a complaint with the fed. It costs about $175 to file last time I checked. If something you or your indie mechanic did messed something up, it's on you but the burden is on the warrantor.

RNINETRAT and To and Fro like this.
  10. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

It takes very little effort to change the oil and filter on most motorcycles (and cars). For me, it gives me a chance to look around at my bike while I'm waiting for the oil to drain. Something I could never do inside a dealership waiting lounge. Even if I don't see something that needs attention, like maybe some corrosion, etc., it helps me to be more familiar with my bike.

Checking the valves is really simple. The hardest part on most bikes, is getting access to the cylinder heads and valve covers. On a boxer motor, the valves and spark plugs are in about the easiest location of any bike to work on.

11. alain bruneau

alain bruneau Active Member

I had my 20,000 kms service done on october 17. I was to ride the 160 kms to get there but I put the bike on the trailer, it was -1 C and frosted windshield. They got going as soon as I arrived at 10:15 . Check the valves, changed the spark plugs, did not change the air filter, it was ok, did all the other stuff to be done at 20,000 kms. They went for lunch and at 12:30, they changed the tires for a new set o f Michelin.
    Everything was done by 13:45. The total bill including taxes of $142, was $947 minus a $75 credit from reward card from their fidelity program. Efficient and honest dealer. The tires were at a very competitive price. The mechanic mention that the tires were still good for another 3,000 kms easily. All in all, positive experience with this 20,000 kms service.

Attached Files:

darrell and ray2 like this.
  12. Strommer

Strommer Active Member

You were robbed.

13. alain bruneau

alain bruneau Active Member

I don't think so
    The bill is split in two part. Morning job was the 20,000kms which was checking valves, changing sparks plugs, changing oil , filter.
    checking air filter, That was 1.60hr @ 89.95 for total $143.92. Parts was $151.08 which include 2 sparks plugs at $25.25 each. so total for the morning job 20,000 kms : $295.00
    Afternoon was to change tires: 1.06 hr @ 89.95 = $95.35
    2 Michelin PR 4 Front $182.25 Rear $239.29 = $421.54
    Tires Total $516.89

Total Parts including tires : $572.62
    Total labor : $ 239.27
    Workshop materiel $ 11.95
    GST tax $ 41.20
    PST $ 82.12
    ------------
    total $947.22
    Loyalty credit - ($75.00 )

GRAND TOTAL : $872.16
    I compare with the Vermont dealer and he gave me an estimate price of $1200US including tires.
    So at $1200 US at 1.29 exchange that comes to $1548 cnd .
    I think that $872.16 cnd is a fair price .

darrell likes this.
  14. James Herne

James Herne New Member

Service costs in Romania for comparison: I just had a regular service done on my RS at the Motorrad dealer here in Bucharest. A standard service, oil & filter change, gear oil change and brake fluid change cost me US$193. The labor charge was $60 (1.6 hrs @ $37.20/hr). The motor oil was $16 per liter, the filter was $21, gear oil was $25 per liter and brake fluid was $9.40 per liter. The technician seemed quite competent and thorough. He noticed that the adjusting wheel on my clutch lever was broken and he replaced it without being asked.

James Bagley likes this.
  15. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

You got a real break on the hourly labor costs, but not much on the parts and oil prices. That is about what we pay for oil, filter and brake fluid (at an auto accessory store, not a BMW shop). My 6K service resulted in a one-hour $123 labor charge.

16. LQB1

LQB1 New Member

So, since we're comparing service costs, here's the bill for my first 12-month service. Included oil change and brake fluid change, as well as standard inspection. Total cost was $183, including a small 10% discount on parts since it took them longer than promised. 12-month service bill.jpg