No customization options are available.

12,000 mile service

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Richard230, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I just had my 12K mile service performed and thought you might like to see what was work was done and what it cost. Not quite sure about 7 ounces of gear oil costing $10, 5 ounces of fuel system cleaner going $7 and I wonder where that parts cleaner was installed? :rolleyes: Plus, those seal kits sure are not cheap. :eek: Labor was billed for 2.5 hours, which was a lot better than the 5 hours the same shop spent to give my 2005 Triumph Bonneville its 36K mile servicing. :eek: :eek: 001.JPG 002.JPG

Beatlunch, ray2 and duccrazydave like this.
  2. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Active Member

Thanks Richard. Know what I have to look forward to now.

3. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

Now I know why I do my own maintenance. $10 for 7 ounces of fluid??? $40 for a spark plug??? And my oil is considered one of the best and only cost $21 a gallon, not per quart.

I pulled my air filter out at 19,000 miles. I'd ridden through some really dusty conditions and a lot of bugs. I expected it to be pretty dirty. Nope. Banged it off and put it back in. It looks brand new. That's $36 saved. And my crush washer gets reused every time. If it ever leaks, and I've never had one do so in all the cars and motorcycles I've changed oil in, I'll drive to the auto parts store and buy another. When I need it.

I hope they gave you the specs for what the valves where, even if within specs. If they vary the next time, you can see how much of a change there was.

BTW, a GS-911 would be a cheap alternative to paying for them to reset the service reminder.

Chris

4. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

attached is copy of my 12000 service done at 10700. I went for an annual, and they suggested I had the 12k done instead. £289

Attached Files:

5. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Gee Roger, I thought Australian place names were a mouthful, but your English ones are at least as bad. Perhaps more quaint.
    No Rattlesnake Gorge in the UK!

ray2 likes this.
  6. roger coleman

we have a Gorge, but I dont think its got a lot of rattlers in it.

7. Richard230

I agree that is likely a lot of parts that don't need to be replaced - but I guess BMW needs to keep their parts supply fresh. :rolleyes: I too, have never seen a very dirty air filter. I think they could double the time that the filter is replaced - and probably the spark plugs, too. But perhaps BMW is being conservative just in case you ride your RS on a lot of dusty dirt roads. For the first time ever, my dealer did provide me with my valve lash measurements. The lash was Right - Intake: .152/.127; exhaust: .406/.381. Left - Intake: .127/.127; exhaust: .406/.406. The valve lash was checked, but not adjusted. If it had been I would have been charged for another hour of labor - and no doubt for more parts.

I do own a GS-911 and have been using it for the past 5 years or my other BMW motorcycles, but I do not the WiFi version and therefore would have to buy a new one to work on the RS and I am just not ready to do that right now. While my RS remains under warranty I think it is best to let my dealer perform regular maintenance and make any warranty repairs.

darrell and ray2 like this.
  8. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

20% VAT- ouch! Do you guys pay any other sales, income, state, federal taxes?( just curious, don't want to start a tax rant!)

Frank

9. Richard230

I am finding it tough to compare your 12K service invoice to mine. I find the layout, terms and extensions to be quite confusing. :confused: You certainly were charged a lot less than I was for your service.

10. roger coleman

Income tax 20% and 40%, road tax on vehicles, rate tax on our houses. plus about 85% fuel tax

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  11. Richard230

Well, that is a national tax and is only twice what I pay for our local city and state sales tax. I bet the residents of the UK get a lot more for their money than I do. :(

ray2 likes this.
  12. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

And about 240-odd years ago, the "colonies" rebelled over something like 3% (as I understand it).

Frank

Richard230 and ray2 like this.
  13. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

(You must have a less expensive GS-911 than I. That said, unlike other posts from some of us who use more aggressive dealerships, I didn't see a price specific to reset of service reminder.)

Overall, it all depends on one's faith in their mechanic.

As I posted elsewhere, I spent some professional time wrenching (OK, last time was 40 y ago), but in my case, I still think the $647.63 spent at my 12,000 mi/20,000 km 3.2 h service visit was worth every penny. Over 60 y of age, I'd rather drop the bike off and test ride one of the new models for a few hours instead of spending the 10 hours (plus trips for fluid disposal) it would take me to worry my way through something I did not do with a team of other guys, professionally and every day.

My mantra remains - Ride more; wrench less.

As regards parts philosophy - I've evolved to the position that recommended replacement time reflects a respect for the mileage and abuse it takes for a percentage of time for some parts to fail. As long as they are pulling the plugs to inspect them, unless the threads and all are perfect (rare), they might as well replace them. I don't want to be in the 5% or so of folks who suffer a spark plug failure while in the middle of the western US just to save a few dollars (not that I don't carry a spare plug in my kit). If a young mechanic wants to keep my old tires or spark plugs to keep his expenses down, I have no problem with that. Most of us have been there.

That said, my hat's off (chapeau) to all who continue to do their own work and reuse their parts.

Besides, wouldn't you rather have Richard230 use his time to continue his reviews of all things motorcycle as well as his contributions to the joke thread.... OK, maybe some of the jokes could be sacrificed, but you get the idea.

My 20,000 km service bill follows: (For the commonwealth folks, I'll note that the "service writer" often wears a kilt at the shop.)
    upload_2017-8-6_10-33-45.png
    upload_2017-8-6_10-32-37.png
    upload_2017-8-6_10-34-41.png
    upload_2017-8-6_10-35-5.png
    upload_2017-8-6_10-36-6.png

Attached Files:

Grumpy Goat and To and Fro like this.
  14. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

I do a great deal of mechanical tasks on our farm. Upkeep of tractors, implements, tools, and the golf carts (a surprisingly useful estate tool) are part and parcel with keeping a larger than average-sized property. However, I bring my four wheelers and motorcycles to folks who have more and better tools, experience, parts, and help than I can provide. If I make a mistake maintaing my tractor, it is unlikely that I'll be travelling faster than 10mph...

I do try to have a thorough understanding of how my bikes and cars work, in the event that I have a problem away from my shop. I still install my own tires and perform simple things like installing bolt-on/plug-n-play items, but leave throttle position sensor/valve adjustments and other techno-centric work to the pros.

ray2 likes this.
  15. Richard230

It is kind of strange how the price of BMW's wonderful synthetic oil, air filter and final drive lube is different from shop to shop in the U.S. I guess dealers are free to set their own prices for parts, but I always thought BMW replacement part prices were pretty well standardized. I guess that is no longer the case. I also find it strange that Ray didn't get hit with the big left and right "seal kit" charge. :confused: On the other hand, he got hit with about an hour more labor than I did to perform the 12K service than I did. (I was told that they take 2.5 hours to perform the service but later I realized that I was only charged for 2 hours at the shop's $130 an hour labor rate.) :confused: All very confusing. :rolleyes:

16. Al D

Al D Active Member

Yours was 36 quid cheaper than mine :(
    And how come an air filter is $28 in the US and £28 here:mad:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  17. Aussie Import

18. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

Has anyone checked or had BMW check the cam shaft timing during the 12K service?

19. Aussie Import

Unless you are going whole hog, timing of the cam shafts is fixed by the crankshaft holding tool (at TDC) and by the marks on the cam sprockets. AFAIK there are no slotted attachments between the cam shaft and the sprockets.

20. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Active Member

I resemble that remark:D:D

Zoomie likes this.