No customization options are available.

10 days in the Pyrenees

Discussion in 'Travel' started by JohnnyRocket, Sep 22, 2017.

1. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

Shakedown 1.jpg Off next week for a tour of Spain and France.. Along the Pyrenees to Andora.. Travelling with two friends one on his 02 Honda SP1. And another on a Ducati 899 Panagale... My new 8Ball RS is just back from its 600 mile service... I am only taking a 55L rear soft bag... As are they.. I've never ridden anywhere outside the Uk.. Really looking forward to it.. Had a 140mile shakedown ride to get used to the luggage.. Barely noticed it was there...

ray2, Brian63, Richard230 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Have a great trip,hope you're not slowed down too much by your uncomfortable mates.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Scorch likes this.
  3. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fun trip. Should be nice and cool in the mountains...

4. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Have a good one - Pyrenees are brilliant!

RS will handle it without even noticing. Took mine over the Wrynose and Hardknott passes last weekend loaded up with camping gear and it handled single track pockmarked hill roads with 30% gradients a treat (as in being well balanced with instant go).

5. Brian63

Brian63 Active Member

Enjoy your trip you have will have a more comfortable time than your two friends and you wont be left in the twisties either
    Brian

6. MarcoRS

MarcoRS New Member

Jealous...
    The 55L bag is great, no faffing about when you arrive at your destination for the night. A set of panniers with it is even better so you can throw the helmet into it overnight for even less of a faff.
    Mark

7. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

Cheers guys....... will be interesting how much i can cram in the softbag.. also I Just bought a GoPro Hero Sessions Cam , I might put it facing backwards on my bike...ala moto GP ,
    so you can see a Panagale duke-ing it out with an SP1 through the curves......

I will put a few vids up of my trip when I get back...:D

Scorch likes this.
  8. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

A well-behaved bike no matter how one load's it. A habit from the old days, I still carry a fair amount of weight in tools, water, and other dense materials in the mountains. Although my clothes go in the soft bag, I still like the image of carrying a lower center of gravity - the heavy stuff goes into the panniers.

I see you still have the luggage rack on. You are already going to be in luxury compared to your mates - as Marc noted, you might consider taking the panniers and and keep the soft bag partly empty so you can enjoy throwing stuff into it along the way - that extra bottle of wine and such. If nothing else, I like the panniers as additional sliders that can save a trip should the unexpected occur....

On the other hand, if you don't want to look your age, then leave the panniers at home and drink the wine as you go.

Agree. you have enough extra torque that you'll probably be leading through the turns anyway - unless the SP1's RC51, frame, and suspension are in great shape, in which case you might need to point the camera ahead.... In its day, one of my favorite models.

Have fun. No wrong decisions with this bike other than those that keep you off the road.

Scorch and Bravo like this.
  9. Allan_MV

Allan_MV Member

It is a great place to ride. The N260 is awesome. It will get tedious stopping every 75 or 80 miles so those two can refuel though.

Scorch and Bravo like this.
  10. Stef

Stef Active Member

Somewhere south of the Pyrénées looking north.

Attached Files:

ray2 likes this.
  11. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

Any excuse for a coffee! its my first time out there... one of the guys is on his 12th annual visit there and knows all the best routes..... the other one went last year for the first time.... the main consideration when choosing my RS was this trip... ive spent 20 years riding 20 miles each way in and out of Central London ... now im retired.. I want to ride on twisty roads in the sunshine.... and mountains... i needed a comfortable bike that could keep up with the other two...and be sporty... the RS fits the bill perfectly..! :cool:

Scorch, MrVvrroomm, Allan_MV and 2 others like this.
  12. Allan_MV

Allan_MV Member

Johnny
    I am going on an extended tour in 2018 around late May/early June. I think 15 days/3300 miles. Maybe this will interest you ?

13. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

20171003_005454.jpg In Andora.. at present... having an epic journey.. saw this RS on Spanish plates... had to take a pic of the Dakar style route map on origional yolk mount! uber cool .. more when i get back... 20171002_230320.jpg

ray2 and Scorch like this.
  14. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Johnny, sounds like you're in biker heaven. I'm a bit late in the game to chime in, but have you considered putting your soft bag on length-ways? I found this to reduce drag, and the front end of the bag makes quite a nice back rest on long runs.

Also, if it's not too late, and you're still looking for some good roads to ride, give me a shout and I'll share my route maps with you. I was there a couple of months ago and we had some absolutely EPIC days' riding. Some would be unsuited for your friends' bikes, but some were just fantastic.

Take care and enjoy!

ray2 likes this.
  15. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

pics to whet the appitite 20171002_120005.jpg IMG-2ea075b163f3600ae47b7d508a27b7f3-V.jpg 20170928_190923.jpg
    1.Arrived in Spain
    2.Pyrenees.... Breathtaking views..
    3.sunset in Biarritz..

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  16. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

IMG-14e97bb186b66cb942663d72ac2c6a5d-V.jpg

3 -Amigos

James Bagley likes this.
  17. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

18. JasonQ

JasonQ Member

Loving the photos of your trip JohnnyRocket, keep them coming, they're brightening up my working day no end :)

19. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

20. JohnnyRocket

JohnnyRocket Member

IMG-b74baba43c180e7d668e226f4c43d4bf-V.jpg

Andora... Beautiful place.. V hot too!

James Bagley likes this.